National Football League and the Metrodome

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

National Football League and the Metrodome

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Doc: With the Metrodome stadium roof collapse in Minneapolis, the NFL game that was supposed to take place there has been moved to Detroit and will not be televised nationally. I'm curious how much revenue will be lost due to the game only being shown regionally. Also, does the NFL "eat" the loss? Do they have an insurance policy for that kind of thing? And if so, who would pay? The stadium authority? The manufacturer of the roof? And, what's up with the Broncos? They've struggled as of late. Do you root for them? If not, who is "your" NFL team?

Happy Holidays to you and your family! - Anonymous

Anon: Hi to you too. I didn't know any of the answers to your questions, so I checked around the Internet and found one article that explains virtually everything you asked about — click here.

I'm sure there will be more information about the situation in the near future, and you should be able to find it on the Internet if you search for Metrodome collapse insurance.

My guess is that there will be a few lawsuits filed with this situation because there will be many millions of dollars involved.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.