Long Distance Telephone Service Verification

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Long Distance Telephone Service Verification

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:52 am

Doc: I am supposed to have AT&T as my long distance service for my land line, but I think I have been slammed. Someone told me there is a way to verify my long distance company by calling a number. Do you know what the number is to call? - Anonymous

Anon: First, for those who don't know anything about long distance slamming (illegally switching a person's long distance service), read these two FCC articles (the articles are similar, but do contain some different information):

Article One
Article Two

If you didn't read those articles, the way to verify your long distance service is to call 1.700.555.4141 on your home phone. If you have AT&T long distance, you will hear a message that says, "Thank you for being an AT&T long distance customer." I imagine that the other long distance carriers will have a similar message.

If you don't hear that message when you call 700.555.4141, then contact AT&T (800.225.5288) and tell them that something "don't be right" with your long distance service.

Note: In the FCC article, it says to call "1+your area code+700-4141" for local and local toll services. That doesn't work on my landline phone, so I don't know if it will work on your phone.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.