Exposure to Sun – A Dermatologist's Suggestions (Photo!)

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Exposure to Sun – A Dermatologist's Suggestions (Photo!)

Post by rogerwimmer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Doc: Since your wife is a dermatologist, I was wondering if she ever mentions anything to family or friends about exposure to the sun and skin cancer. Does she ever say anything? - Jerry

Jerry: I apologize for not answering your question when you first sent it a few weeks ago, but I was waiting for the right opportunity to answer it. The right opportunity arrived.

The quick answer to your question is...Yes, my wife (Darnell) always mentions things about exposure to the sun and skin cancer to our family and friends. I guess that's a natural thing to do when she performs skin cancer surgery on patients almost every day.

But, here is the opportunity that presented itself that encouraged me to answer your question now . . .

Every year for two weeks, an old college roommate of mine (John) goes to Maui, Hawaii with his wife. Every year like clockwork, Darnell mentions that they shouldn't spend too much time in the sun, and if they do, they should wear sunscreen and/or sun-blocking clothing.

A few days ago, my roommate sent an email and said he was sitting on the beach in Maui, but I shouldn't tell Darnell. Yeah, sure. I immediately called my wife and asked her to call John to harass him a bit. She did. A few minutes later, John called me and said, "Damn, Wimmer. I'm out here on the beach and Darnell just called and busted my butt for being out in the sun. Thanks a lot."

About an hour later, John sent another email that said, "Am I covered up enough now?" The email included this photo of him sitting on a lounge chair on the beach in Maui:

There is your answer. My wife does mention things about the sun and skin cancer to our family and friends. Her comments always make an impact, but not always to this degree. My former college roommate is a unique character. Darnell is going to hang the photo in her office.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.