ISO Certification – Management Indicators

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

ISO Certification – Management Indicators

Post by rogerwimmer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

Hi, Doc: Since our broadcasting company is being certified by ISO, we are supposed to set our own indicators for performance. Are there management indicators in radio, specifically in the programming and production areas, other than Ratings? Thanks in advance for your help! - Anonymous

Anon: Hi to you too. I didn't know anything about the ISO (International Organization for Standardization), so I went to the company's website. For those who don't know, part of the ISO "About Us" page says:

ISO is a network of the national standards institutes of 160 countries, one member per country, with a Central Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, that coordinates the system.

ISO is a non-governmental organization that forms a bridge between the public and private sectors. On the one hand, many of its member institutes are part of the governmental structure of their countries, or are mandated by their government. On the other hand, other members have their roots uniquely in the private sector, having been set up by national partnerships of industry associations.

OK, with that as a start, I also found a lot of information that may guide you in developing some indicators on the Management and Leadership Standards page and on the Telecommunications page. However, don't limit yourself to these two pages. I suggest you read other sections of the ISO website.

Now, you asked if there are management and programming indicators that you can use other than ratings. I think you can develop indicators in two areas: (1) Listener ratings, such as 1-10 scales, on your radio station's performance in programming and production; and, (2) Management ratings in the same areas. You could collect this information in a research project once each year, or more often if desired.

You could design a list of 20 of more programming and production elements and set goals for each element. The process would work for both listener ratings and management ratings, and you could set goals for each element. For example, you might set of goal of achieving an average score of 7.0 on your listeners' perception of "Music Variety," where "1" means Poor and "10" means Excellent.

Developing the elements you include in your "test" should be easy. What is important to your listeners? What do they like? Why do they tune to your radio station? And so on.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.