Flowers are Red – Harry Chapin

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Flowers are Red – Harry Chapin

Post by rogerwimmer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 am

Doc: When I was very young, I remember hearing on a song on the radio station my parents listened to and I'm trying to figure out what the song is - I have tried everything. The song is about a little boy who is painting roses in school and the teacher tells him that he is painting with the wrong colors...or close like that. The title is something like "Roses are Red" or "Grass is Green." Do you have any idea what the song is? Thanks. - RJ

RJ: First, I think you noticed that I changed the title of your question to reflect the real title of the song you're asking about. I hope you don't mind, and on to your question . . .

I'm sure the song you're referring to is Harry Chapin's song, "Flowers are Red," which was released on September 10, 1978. It's a marvelous explanation of how one person, in this case a teacher, can restrict the creativity and imagination of another person, a little boy.

There are several versions of the song on the Internet, but to hear the song along with the lyrics, click here.

Here is another version where Harry Chapin explains why he wrote the song. I'm going to warn you that the introduction has about 50 seconds of useless comments and gibberish by the band members, but Chapin does eventually explain why he wrote the song - click here.

Harry Chapin was a great storyteller and most of his songs contained some type of emotional message. One of his most emotion-laden songs that tugs at the hearts of all fathers who spend many hours at work or who travel a lot is Cat's in the Cradle. Listen to the song and, if you're a father, decide if you should work a few extra hours today.

Harry Chapin died in a car accident in New York in 1981. He was only 38 years old.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.