Sleep, Sea level, and Music Testing

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Sleep, Sea level, and Music Testing

Post by rogerwimmer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am

Doctor: Hope you had a good Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Whatever-You-Celebrate or Ignore. I am wondering if my first question has ever kept you up at night.

Question 1. How come when I accidentally dose off on the couch early in the evening, I can't fall asleep for the rest of the night? Example: Let's say it's 8:30 or 9 PM. I am reading, watching TV, etc. I drift off to sleep for a bit. Then I wake up and decide if I am already that tired, maybe I should just turn in for the night. And when I do, I have trouble falling back asleep. I was clearly tired, so what gives?

Question 2. You live in the Denver area, where you're a mile above sea level, right? How does anybody know how tall ANYTHING is compared to the ocean? It's not like you can take a bunch of rulers and line them up perfectly from the top of the Rockies to the Pacific Ocean.

Question 3. I figure you deserve at least one radio related question. I recently re-filtered our online research database to match the same criteria we have used for our recent auditorium and market perceptual projects. Having done that, I am slowly testing our AMT list with the online group, to see how they compare. I started from the top scoring song, and am working my way down. But then it occurred to me: that's not the order they were tested in at the AMT. In essence, I am testing what are likely my BEST songs all at once. Is it possible that respondents will feel the need to not rate EVERY song high? And if so, would a song they really like possibly score lower because they'd somehow feel weird giving every single song on the list a favorable score? - Anonymous

Anon: Yes, the holiday time was nice. Thank and on to your questions . . .

Question 1: Taking a very short nap too close to the time when you go to sleep for the night generally tends to upset your body rhythm. However, I’m not an expert in the field, so take a look at some of the suggestions on this website.

Question 2: I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking, but I’ll give it a shot. First, I don’t think anyone in the Denver area cares about comparing the height of anything here compared to sea level. It’s all relative. The top of 30-story building in the Denver (about 300 feet) is just as high from the ground as a 30-story building in Los Angeles. Sure, the top of the building is actually about 5,580 above sea level, but...uh...that’s the way it is and no one who lives here cares about that. However, I would imagine that many tourists notice the difference because they can’t breathe as well as when they are at sea level, or closer to sea level. Their bodies aren’t accustomed to the thinner air.

Does that answer your question?

Question 3: I have tested many times whether the order of songs in a music test has any effect on song scores. It doesn’t, so don’t worry about the order you are testing your songs. It doesn’t matter if you are testing all the good songs at one time or mix them up with lower testing songs. Song order in any type of music testing situation has no effect on song scores.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.