President Trump and the NFL

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

President Trump and the NFL

Post by rogerwimmer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Doc: On our radio station, we’re getting all sorts of positive and negative comments about President Trump’s involvement in the National Football League (NFL), specifically what the players should or not do when the National Anthem is played (kneel, etc.). It’s really getting crazy. Any suggestions about what we might be able to do to address this situation? - Anonymous

Anon: My guess is that your radio station isn’t the only one that is being deluged with comments about the Trump/NFL situation. Probably the best thing is to allow listeners to vent their comments, but be prepared to take close control over the situation if the comments become inappropriate for your radio station.

The folks at your radio station should ask themselves at least two questions: (1) Is it important for the President of the United States to spend time (any amount) on the NFL topic? and (2) Are there any other topics that are more important for the President to discuss and/or address? The answers to these two questions should give some direction in reference to what you should do on your radio station.

I have never seen/heard/experienced things about politics similar to what is going on now. It’s an almost daily bombardment of confusing comments and situations. My goodness.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.