Why Radio Must Die

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
herbertreid

Why Radio Must Die

Post by herbertreid » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:22 am

Not long ago, I sent free of charge, some pretty cool t-shirts to a FM station in the mid-west for " give - aways ". In a conversation with the station manager I was told " we don't play anything unless it's on MTV " ( MTV doesn't and hasn't broken any new ground since the mid 90's )

Unfortunately, commercial radio has dug it's own grave with this kind of thought, we the people are getting a little suspicious about the likes of " Lady Ga Ga " what is that ? would any of the top 40, or ' Hot Hit's " formats have picked that nonsense up, if it were not backed by a whole lot of marketing money. But a kid right in your own backyard, whom may really have some talent you won't play ?

And don't tell me about what the market demands, it's already been proven, it's the music not the personality - anybody remember how Chuck Mangione hit it, anybody remember when you listened to the radio to hear something NEW ? anybody remember what a regional hit was ? it's to bad you don't, because people are starting to forget about commercial radio.

I dare you to start playing music again, and watch what happen's, and music not because it has a million bucks behind it, but because there is real talent.

and also people in their 50's like to hear music made by people in their 50's to !

So here's a challenge ( I'll do anything to prove a point ) I'll give you a single from an unknown band, produced to broadcast digital qaulity, if it doesn't become a regional hit, I'll sponsor, 40 hour's of drive-time...

( and I'll pull the band out of a hat, nothing I had anything to do with, )

ibizamitch

Re: Why Radio Must Die

Post by ibizamitch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 pm

I agree with this statement but not with the title!

Your post shouldn't be why radio must die, but why radio must change!!

There are one hundred music directors out there who look at taking on
a local band as a huge gamble. Which if you don't win, can really come
around to bite you. But at the same time, if you don't take those chances
once in a while what's the point??

I strongly believe that the Music Director of a station should have some
strong connections with the local music scene, and when they find that
new hit they like should push for it to be on the air. That's the reason
most of us got in this industry to begin with, was to take charge of the
airwaves and make them our own.

It has been a long time since I've heard of a band being discovered by
the radio. I think the challenge should be issued to all Music Directors/APD's/
PD's to see if you can be that person. Not only will it give a little more variety
to your station but you'll have the band thanking you for the rest of their career.

Let's make it our job to find the next hit!!!!!

kellybgood

Post by kellybgood » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:13 am

I agree with ibizamitch. We definitely need to change the course we've been taking with
radio and make some new foundations. We need music directors who aren't afraid to
take some chances and make some fun choices once and a while.

skill

Post by skill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 am

I agree with alll of you :D

rojbanks

Post by rojbanks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:47 am

I agree with this statement but not with the title!

Your post shouldn't be why radio must die, but why radio must change!!

Ur Feeling is right, but there has been some legal issue around it for radio stations to
take care of, after all that is also commercial medium as well, they have to think about his management profit, U have any new idea about this, u can start ur radio station in form of FM, u have to get licence for that from government...

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 am

Why not compromise. Have a new talent night or segment? Have the listeners rate it. If they like it you keep playing it. You keep score, like a station branded billboard chart. Great idea for getting local involvement, playing what others stations won't and doing what can't be done any other way. Get a bank to "bank on new talent". Seems like a win to me.

herbertreid

Re: Why Radio Must Die ( 1,199 views and 6 responses )

Post by herbertreid » Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 am

And the reason is, because we know that if radio does not change it will be as rare as a vinyl 45. There's a market for vinyl 45's but not one that is nearly as strong as it was 40 years ago ( we let the technocrats bully us into the CD format, was that a good thing ? I don't know how much of a role petroleum played a part in vinyl production and if the shift to CD helped relieve petroleum usage, but aren't CD's made of plastic ? )

There will always be radio ( but what kind of radio), not one that paves new ground or entertains beyond automation. That is computer programmed stations churning out the same cookie cutter pop propaganda that American Idol has convinced everyone is talent. I envision radio as solely a marketing tool for the major music distributors.

As a boy I listened to radio for the music, one song sticks in my head to this day " I'm Just A Women With The Blues " The Lint Sisters" out of Detroit Michigan, radio used to make those kind of life-long memories.The song was not a big hit but I listened to that station to hear that song - Hound Dog Lorenz BLK out of Buff. New York

The remaining independent radio stations need to network together. Program tracks by independent music producers. Rotation sells music and makes loyal listeners, but it doesn't have to be the corporate distributed product 99% of the time.

We can make available top 40 or FM radio product that is legal to play, and professionally produced, and can promise that it will be weeks before MTV or any of the corporate mega TV broadcasters get it. And it will start to rebuild the credibility of radio.

You don't have to be a college radio station to be good. If you are a programmer or music director lets talk. We can save your station. I love radio, lets save it. Contact us at [email protected]
We love radio and accept change, but not so ready to accept it's demise.

hipvoice

Post by hipvoice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 am

There is an agenda at hand and it leads to controlling thought so your son can go to war, keep the kid dumb, and relating to nothing of value it;s an easy mind control, have you heard any anti Iraq war songs or song about the oil spill, we are sporting an all volunteer army, and they love dummies! so junk up the air waves and keep it on the dumb side, do what ever Israel decides what's best for it's people
and everything will be rosie :o