My Target vs. My Cume

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

My Target vs. My Cume

Post by rogerwimmer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 am

Doc: I work for people who have an overall cume goal for our audience. We've spent enough money to know who is most likely to listen to us (by doing a perceptual study a few months ago). However, we're one of those stations caught in the middle of owners who refuse do buy Arbitron ratings. So, my performance as PD is judged by 6+ Cume. Our perceptual study told us to research a certain demo and gender, and then filter them by those most likely to listen to our format.

Here's my disconnect: since all I have to go on is 6+ Cume, is there a point in filtering my research through a certain age and gender? Would I be better off simply filtering them through the other part - those most likely to listen to my format?

When I run numbers both ways, I see fewer higher scoring songs by filtering through age, gender, and most likely than I do when just filtering through all ages by most likely to listen.

Since I'll never know how I am doing in my ideal target, and since I am tasked with growing overall cume, what's the right approach?

My gut says "stick with the target" if I am to believe the results of my perceptual study: that by winning with this group, I'll gain my greatest harvest. But I am open to being wrong.

Thanks for any insight you can provide! - Anonymous

Anon: First, I apologize for not answering your question sooner. I had a catastrophic computer problem and couldn’t do anything on it. It seems to be doing fine now, and on to your question . . .

Your performance is judged on a 6+ cume? I have been involved in radio research for a long time and that’s the first time I ever heard that. Does that mean the owners expect you to play music for all those people? What a joke.

I don’t know anything about your market, your radio station, or your format, so I’m a bit constrained in provides specific suggestions. However, from what you explain, I think you would be wise to “follow your gut” and stick with the target. You might be able to develop a few filters based on the music you play, but that would be a guess. The target approach will at least give you some basic direction.

Finally, any additional discussions about your situation may not be appropriate for a public column because the information is proprietary to your station. If you would like to pursue this, contact me via email ([email protected]) or you can call me at my office (303.887.7846).

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.