Making money on a 24/7 internet only station.

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver, pmsimon

kiltboy

Making money on a 24/7 internet only station.

Post by kiltboy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Is anyone doing it and if so, how?
What are advertisers expecting from an internet only station? (specifics)
Are they local, regional, national, global businesses?
Any pertinent information is helpful.
Thanks.

davealton001

Re: Making money on a 24/7 internet only station.

Post by davealton001 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Kiltboy,
did u get any help? Im looking at the same thing, all ive found where places that want to charge a monthly and set up fee but no real answers on how to make any money with the station. I was told it would be up to me to get advertisers on your web page (local ones first) and one told me that if i got 500,000 listners i would get a check for $1000.00 but its only a one time payment.
I fyou have found anything that could be of help i would love to hear from you. You can email me at djdave_01@yahoo.com
Thanks and best of luck to you
Dave

radioboy8

Post by radioboy8 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 pm

For small internet stations, I can tell you it's not easy. I'm in the trenches with it myself. I'm sorry I didn't notice this particular post earlier.

I have a country station at http://www.bigdcountry.com. It streams through Live365. For a Live365 PRO station, you can opt-in to run their network ads on your station. For each listener + ad that runs, you receive one point. 500,000 points is the $1000 payout, so it's a point count and not exactly a listener head count. I use this during part, but not all of each day as I also do a weekday broadcast. My own ads air during that broadcast.

Most of our ads are national. I've had a hard time getting locals to buy, and the last local bounced a $250 check on us. I'm pretty much making everyone go through an agency these days. And the local non-agency folks have to pay in advance and have funds clear now before the first spot hits the air.

This month we are just over break-even. It's one of the better months. Usually we are just under or maybe right at, break even.

Some of our ads are per-inquiry. Some of these pull decently even for Internet-only. Our sponsors are all listed on the sponsors and advertisers page at Big D Country's website.

keaser

Post by keaser » Thu May 17, 2012 5:59 am

Hey folks,

I run Wave 96 LLC in Ohio a 24/7 Internet radio station. I would agree 90% of the time it is a breakeven project. I pay royalties through Streamlicensing LLC and all my hosting including SHOUTcast is taken through Twisterhost. The concept Internet radio in my eyes is to make some sort of content available to the user where they can't find it anywhere else. I highly suggest finding ways to minimize overhead in anyway possible, and use social media has home run ball to finding viewers.

If you want check out my station Wave 96 at http://wave96.net . You can also take a look at the hosting company we use. I still have yet to find someone who offers what they do for the price in which they list!

I wish you guys the best of LUCK!!!!!

Terence Keaser
Wave 96 LLC / Owner / CEO

urbanhitzradio

Post by urbanhitzradio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Hey guys,

I definitely understand everything that is being said here. I think that a turn around is coming soon, so hang in there. I run Urban Hitz Radio: An R&Band Hip-Hp station. it's been hard and it's not easy, but you've got to stay strong. I also use StreamLicensing.
Now, I am working on a way to get more listeners. As being a shoutcast station, is not guaranteed that the listeners will come. 99% of those top stations on shoutcast do NOT pay any royalties what so ever, but they make loads of money through various methods. And they don't pay for their own servers.

So for those owners, like me, who pay for your own servers and licensing, and other necessities, our time is coming.

JE
Owner, Urban Hitz Radio™ | HYFR Consulting™
http://www.urbanradiousa.com

newyork78

Post by newyork78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am

Hi,
I came across your question and i hope i can give you some insight about monetizing your stream. I actually work for a company that enables stream monetization, as well as provides the platform/player/apps for internet broadcasting on desktop and mobile. Since this is a forum and not an advertsing site i will just point you in the right direction with the links below. By running our advertising network alone or side by side with your advertisers you can monetize your stream by collecting ad revenue thorugh user / listener impressions .
read more at :
http://rss.securenetsystems.net/features/
http://rss.securenetsystems.net/index.c ... d_delivery

syndic8r

Post by syndic8r » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Interesting thread. What if "we" (the we being radio pros) could build a site where talented individuals who could provide good content would have their shows aired? I'm not talking about political talk shows. Too much of that our there. And not 12 song per hour shows, because the music can be found in many places, unless you are prepared to provide real curated content and not the safe list. Could we build that and monetize it? I think there is an opportunity there. What about you?

fdezthemouth

Post by fdezthemouth » Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 am

Though I'm new with radio I think your idea is sound. Being able to put together talent and having a station where refreshing voices and points can be made for any topic. I think we find to many "politcally correct" personalities and honestly we live in a real society so lets keep things real. I think a station that pushes to keep things refreshing is the way to go. We listen to radio nowadays and honestly it seems fake a lot. Why would i want to listen to radio with people that can't personalize themselves with the audience. Well thanks my 4 cents worth.

keaser

Post by keaser » Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm

RE: fdezthemouth

There is a show I host called The S.O.M.L. Radio Show. It appears on Wave 96 my Internet radio station on Tuesdays at 8PM EST. We provide update stories and things that trending now, however we take political correctness out of the equation. There is me plus 5 other guys who are co-host.

You can check out the recording of the last show at http://www.wave96.net/podcast.

The show grows and attracts new listeners every week! I am still debating how to set up the rest of that page though. If you or anyone has any thoughts on it, let me know!

moneyroom

Post by moneyroom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey Guys, I may have some answers for you. I'm a radio personality who began a career online after leaving traditional radio full time. I was successful as a medium and large market personality. I learned how to make money with my radio skills beyond my on-air gig. Now I'm successful online as both a marketer and entrepreneur.

We're launching an Internet radio station for one of our brands and we have identified 15 proven income streams, most of which are tied to online promotion which is easy and simple to pull off. Most of these income streams have been proven online. And with the addition of an Internet radio station, we will probably earn 5 to 10 times more with our stream. Why not you?

I'm putting together a low cost coaching and promotion program for anyone interested learning about what we're doing.

Creating income online is very possible and regardless of what you've heard or experienced, there is no limit to how much you can make online with the proper effort. With an Internet radio station at the core of your promotion I believe you can create even more income than you are earning now. We have proven this to ourselves for some time.

This is still a new and fresh frontier. Internet radio is a shadow of what it will be, but you have to approach it with non-traditional radio and promotion efforts to make it profitable. I can tell you for sure that these methods are overlooked in the terrestrial radio realm. Most radio stations don't even know what to do with the Internet, let alone know how to monetize their own streams. And that includes the large radio groups and conglomerates.

There is a learning curve for this stuff, but you CAN bring in local dollars, on-going and in some cases, residual income from your listener base. It can be a beautiful thing.

The beauty of our methods is you don't need a huge amount of regular listeners to bring in the income. You just need enough people to sample your station and like what you're doing. And much of what we do can be put on autopilot. So whether you're doing your Internet radio gig full time or part time, there is big time hope.

You will be amazed at what you can do and how much fun it can be besides doing your radio thing.
I love radio, always have, but I also like making money. When you do there are so many more things you can do for your station, your business and your life.

Your Internet station doesn't have to be a break even scenario or a drain on your income or resources anymore. If you begin treating your Internet station like an already profitable entity and use the methods and promotions I share with you, and help others take your station seriously, you can make a lot more money.

I don't launch a website or a promotion unless I know I have minimal cost and risk. We're not going to make anyone a millionaire overnight, but it is possible to create more income online with an Internet radio station, channel, show or podcast than most have ever thought possible.

If you'd like to know more, you can email me at moneyroom@gmail.com or call me any day or any time there is daylight (up until 11pm Mountain time) at 480-982-0233. I'm in Chandler, AZ.

Don't just rock your station, rock your bank account, too!

If you're really serious about doing something profitable with your Internet radio station, connect with me.

Michael