Radio salespeople...your opinion

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

morganize

Radio salespeople...your opinion

Post by morganize » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:41 am

Recently during a job interview at a major Southern California station, the local sales manager commented that a, "No" from a decision-maker in response to a proposal, was a "deal ender". In other words, the account executive should walk away at that point and "move on".

Throughout my career, many of my biggest sales have been completed following an initial response of "No" from a prospective client. If the proposal makes sense for both the station and the client, I have always felt that a "No" was merely an indication that I hadn't done all I should have to demonstrate the value of the proposal. At that point, I would do everything I could to keep the door open for further discussion.

I'd like your thoughts. ---seems to me that this local sales manager is giving some peculiar signals to new people in broadcast sales....signals that might be costing the company and the reps a lot of revenue.

Your thoughts?

Beef_Stew

Re: Radio salespeople...your opinion

Post by Beef_Stew » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 am

No could mean no, but I don't think so. No often means the sales cycle is really just getting started.

sherlin

Post by sherlin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:46 pm

I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
======================================
camping Australia :lol:

mlbarbee

Post by mlbarbee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:58 am

"No" and move on can be good advice in some situations. If the person you're dealing with is extremely difficult, angry or you're not comfortable with them, "no" can be a blessing. There are too many willing people in this world to have to endure the difficult mules. It has been my experience that no matter how much money they represent, they don't change. If you're up for more of the same treatment, press on young representative! I have found that smiling, gracious people have just as much money! Remember, as an account executive, YOU get to decide who you will or won't work with! If a "no" is worth fighting for, fight for it. If a "no" is an opportunity for a speedy exit from a hazardous business relationship, take it and RUN!!!!

strangelove

Post by strangelove » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I have seen this lack of ambition far to often in our industry over the last 10+years. Blaming the economy far to often is the easy way out. Show my a successful sales team, i'll show you a ppm monster! It goes hand in hand! Simple as that!

hottspringss

Post by hottspringss » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:17 am

It depends on if a proper CNA was done. If the rep got all the information and needs from the client and makes a proper presentation, then there is no reason a client should say no. So when they do (and they all do), it becomes the sales part.
Continuing after "no" is why we are sales professionals and not just order takers.

atsok

Post by atsok » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 am

If I had a nickel for every "no".
Clearly, every situation is different and one must assess the situation as best possible but: "No" certainly opens the opportunity to politely ask "why not". If there is a "no" there is a reason. Keeping in mind that sales is all about asking questions and finding/filling a need, a sales person needs to understand the need before making an offer or walking away.

rowdy

Post by rowdy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Don't ask "yes" or "no"....ask "How" can we make this work...