Can you earn a livible wage in radio today???

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
MPALUMBO623

Can you earn a livible wage in radio today???

Post by MPALUMBO623 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 am

Serious Question. If one were to go to college for 4-years and incur a modest 40k in Student Debt, will they ever be able to earn a livible wage and raise a family?

Drakea83

Re: Can you earn a livible wage in radio today???

Post by Drakea83 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 pm

I work in Market 194 and make a decent living as a PD for a locally owned station. I'm not 10 years in this business, done my share of moving around and eating Ramen noodles, but have always done well. I'm married with an infant and we are currently making it just on my salary. Now when the kid gets old enough to start wanting stuff and costing even MORE money (little league, swim lessons, etc.) then the wife will for sure have to go back to work and chip in some money.

I do not have a degree. When I do my hires I do not look at degrees, I want someone who gets the business. You can get someone who aced all their classes and have that fancy piece of paper who don't belong anywhere near a microphone. My way of thinking may be in the minority, but this business doesn't require a degree IMO. Real world experience, a willing to bust your rear, and a good sound on the air means 10X more than a degree.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 am

MPALUMBO623 wrote:Serious Question. If one were to go to college for 4-years and incur a modest 40k in Student Debt, will they ever be able to earn a livible wage and raise a family?
I would say one would be foolish to incur $40k in debt to pursue a career in radio. That's not to say that you cannot earn a livable wage, you can. But you could just as easily locate a community college with a communications program and a radio station and prepare yourself for a radio career for a LOT less.

Once you are a student, you can attain an internship, which will give you a foot in the door. There you will be able to determine if this is indeed the career path you wish to follow, and how much financial investment it is worth.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 am

Having spent over 35 years in radio on a full time basis and another 12 in the I.T. field, I concur with the above.

$40,000 is a ridiculous sum to pay for a degree in Communication Arts, or whatever they call it these days. Pick up a degree in something substantial, pursue the radio thing on the side. You NEVER need a degree in communications to work in radio, nobody will ever ask you for one.

muthamedia

Post by muthamedia » Tue May 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Can you close? The money is not in programming, production or on air talent.

femmyv

Post by femmyv » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 am

Yes, you can. The problem is, those with their hands on the levers of power aren't going to share that power with people who are content with a living wage.

And don't waste your 40k on a communications degree. At least, first talk to the department head, ask them what their placement rate is for graduates in radio, then ask them for a list of successful alumni.

andybarber

Post by andybarber » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:39 am

Yes you can earn a Fantastic Salary(Contract)..I've been doing this biz for 45 years, But, I've never wanted a BMW or Rolls, I went to College, Acting School, Broadcasting School & Commerical Workshop, it's ALL your Tude, that's what ANY Company wants Corp or Small, just say "YES" when they ask..They Call Me: Mr Flexible!

yobro

Post by yobro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 am

I'm gonna go one step farther and say, don't get a degree for radio. Everyone should get a degree in something, but make it useful.

If one wants a career in radio.... GET IT! Start out part time in a small city and work your way up. The same philosophy held true 20 years ago. If you have talent, you can make it. You can't learn talent in college. IMO

flyman

Post by flyman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:43 am

I have been in Radio for roughly 30 Years. (Thankfully I do not look like it). I have worked for Nothing. (Yes, I do mean nothing. I have done the Intern Thing, and paid to get college Credits for it).
I started in radio without a Degree, I was a young Teenager and managed to get my foot in the door at a station that was near my home. I had worked my way into a full time gig, while making something to the range of $2.13 an hour. I then also held some other jobs, like Delivering Pizza's prior to work, and held the over night slot, while going to school. I then jumped into college, and decided I wanted a Communication Degree, and I also studied Electronics at a Local Regional Occupation Center, to get into Engineering.
I really wanted to know everything about radio, and how to do it. The one thing I did not know about was Sells. This part of radio did not hit me in the face, until I was part of a Morning Show in Sacramento, and the Sales Manager had Two Very High End Sports cars, he would switch off to every day at work. I asked him how he was able to do it, and he introduced me to sales.
I learned was a "Good Income" Was, and found that some stations would let me have an Air Gig, and do sales, since I was really good at it. This gave me an opportunity to do what I loved. Then when the Station Engineer invited me to "Hang Out" with him at another station, he taught me the ropes of Engineering, and I was soon a "Valuable Asset". (Especially during Christmas parties when the station goes down).
I was able to watch people come and go in the business, and I was at one point, the last man standing.
When IT Rolled Along, I had studied Computer Programming, and Network Engineering in College, so I was then used in this capacity as an IT Director. I really found a home in this arena. I was transferred to a small market which I was paid to do my Morning Show, My IT work, and My Sales. I was making Big Market Money in a Small Market, where things were so cheap I could not even comprehend it ($200 a month rent for a 2 Bedroom). I ended up buying a house and paid cash for it.
So, to answer your question.... Yes, you can, but you need to find the right opportunities. IF you are seeking "College" for Radio, I would seek out everything to do with "Digital Engineering" and the Sales end of things. I had a guy in my Broadcasting class, who knew some Spanish and went to sell at a Hispanic Station and made $90k His first Year, and $200k the next. (Not usual results).
If your good, you can make money.
Have a great day.

koby

Post by koby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 pm

flyman wrote:I have been in Radio for roughly 30 Years. (Thankfully I do not look like it). I have worked for Nothing. (Yes, I do mean nothing. I have done the Intern Thing, and paid to get college Credits for it).
I started in radio without a Degree, I was a young Teenager and managed to get my foot in the door at a station that was near my home. I had worked my way into a full time gig, while making something to the range of $2.13 an hour. I then also held some other jobs, like Delivering Pizza's prior to work, and held the over night slot, while going to school. I then jumped into college, and decided I wanted a Communication Degree, and I also studied Electronics at a Local Regional Occupation Center, to get into Engineering.
I really wanted to know everything about radio, and how to do it. The one thing I did not know about was Sells. This part of radio did not hit me in the face, until I was part of a Morning Show in Sacramento, and the Sales Manager had Two Very High End Sports cars, he would switch off to every day at work. I asked him how he was able to do it, and he introduced me to sales.
I learned was a "Good Income" Was, and found that some stations would let me have an Air Gig, and do sales, since I was really good at it. This gave me an opportunity to do what I loved. Then when the Station Engineer invited me to "Hang Out" with him at another station, he taught me the ropes of Engineering, and I was soon a "Valuable Asset". (Especially during Christmas parties when the station goes down).
I was able to watch people come and go in the business, and I was at one point, the last man standing.
When IT Rolled Along, I had studied Computer Programming, and Network Engineering in College, so I was then used in this capacity as an IT Director. I really found a home in this arena. I was transferred to a small market which I was paid to do my Morning Show, My IT work, and My Sales. I was making Big Market Money in a Small Market, where things were so cheap I could not even comprehend it ($200 a month rent for a 2 Bedroom). I ended up buying a house and paid cash for it.
So, to answer your question.... Yes, you can, but you need to find the right opportunities. IF you are seeking "College" for Radio, I would seek out everything to do with "Digital Engineering" and the Sales end of things. I had a guy in my Broadcasting class, who knew some Spanish and went to sell at a Hispanic Station and made $90k His first Year, and $200k the next. (Not usual results).
If your good, you can make money.
Have a great day.
thanks for your info... i'll look into the options u mentioned

FAV LINK:

5, English is to show off their own capital. You can emerge Spiffygirl in a few occasions on a different occasion of the English, so that the presence of people looking at you, so you can make your vanity great satisfaction.

6, will be useful in English study. Now people who know the book know that there is almost a homework than all the main subjects are important, that is, English, if you fail, you do not want to graduate, so it is important to learn English class, do not accept you try.

7, will be useful in English evaluation. Now all walks of life are rated job title, even the union staff are rated what political division, the equivalent of what professor associate professor, do not know the need to pick up the garbage need to comment. But you no matter what series of titles you have to test English, not through all the white pull.

8, will be easy to go abroad for foreign service. You are doing better in the unit, the unit leader a happy, send you to work abroad, if you are in English that you are like a duck, but the premise is that you have to go to English-speaking countries, if you go to Congo is more trouble
Last edited by koby on Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.