on air computers

What equipment’s hot, and what’s not? Regulatory matters – discuss!

Moderators: shawnski, jdenver, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy

poon

on air computers

Post by poon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:41 pm

I am curious, do most stations have protocal on how long to use their on air computers for? Is it pretty much the nature of the business to keep it running 24/7 (aside from weekly re-starts) until it crashes. Or is there a time frame most stations go by before they bring in a new on air computer? Our station has had some computers that have lasted 5 or 6 years and some others that get fried after 2 or 3 years.

jamesw

Re: on air computers

Post by jamesw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 am

We change our pretty much every 3 yrs.

sarkarinaukri

Post by sarkarinaukri » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 am

Yup most of them run 24*7 ;)

brook27xsh

Post by brook27xsh » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:17 pm

You said how to solve this problem, I don't know, but I know a friend is proficient, I have time I will discuss with him and get back to you.

billydee203

Post by billydee203 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:46 am

At the stations I engineer the on-air (automation) computers are on a separate network from the business network systems (which includes computers used for general net surfing). Automation workstations are allowed internet access for software updates, etc., only when an admin/engineer has logged into the system. Internet is disabled for jock or regular studio personnel access.

This pretty much stopped malware, viri and other issues dead in their tracks. Using laptops for in-studio surfing makes it simple to swap out with a clean system when it gets dirty. I just swap it out with an identical model and reload the hard drive, making it the replacement for the next time.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 am

I guess you are using an old system which has now become outdated and the peripherals attached to it won't respond to it quickly. You can sell the old system on https://babasupport.org/apple/iphone-error-4005/ and buy a new one from there too.