Sound Cards

What equipment’s hot, and what’s not? Regulatory matters – discuss!

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

singleton33

Sound Cards

Post by singleton33 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 am

So, by virtue of wearing every hat in the building, I'm learning a lot about the technical/engineering side of things. I got the pleasure of taking my radio station out of the box and literally building it. Since then I have been trying to tweak the sound to get the most out of what I have to wok with. In the past week I have finally learned how VU dBu & dBFS all correlate, and my studio is now tuned in to match the equipment I have.

But, upon finally understanding what all of this stuff means, I have come to realize that my sound card, a Lexicon Alpha USB interface, is insufficient as it has a max output of +16 dBu. I am looking at ASI and Digigram cards, but my boss is also about to buy a new Optimod, and another $700+ for a sound card may not be feasible.

Are there any other sound cards or USB interfaces out there for a more reasonable price that will output a good quality, full +24 dBu balanced signal? I don't need any inputs, and a single analog stereo output will do. Please make any suggestions, and if you believe we just have to bite the bullet and get the ASI, I'll take that advice as well.