An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
revevilunion51

An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format

Post by revevilunion51 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Massive Rock
Massive Rock is a radio format used by many commercial radio stations across the United States and Canada. Massive Rock stations play new and mainstream hard rock music with some new alternative songs.

Format Background

A Massive Rock station focuses on Rock music from the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. It leans more towards newer, younger and recent artists, as opposed to active rock radio, which focuses on older, popular and mainstream artists

A Massive Rock station may include earlier songs by "mainstream" artists in its playlist such as Seether, Three Days Grace, Chevelle, Korn, Staind, Saliva, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Puddle of Mudd, Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, Godsmack, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Theory of a Deadman, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch and Volbeat which is the main focus on active rock stations. Conversely, unlike active rock stations, a massive rock station mainly focuses on new music by new, recent and young hard rock artists such as Young Guns, Art of Dying, Heaven’s Basement, Beware of Darkness, We as Human, Dead Sara, Nothing More, Otherwise, Periphery, Starset, Kyng, 3 Years Hollow, Royal Blood, Crobot, Bad Seed Rising, Heartist, From Ashes to New, Blacklite District, You Me at Six, Gemini Syndrome, Eve to Adam, The Amity Affliction, The Letter Black, Brick + Mortar, Mindset Evolution, Of Mice & Men, Righteous Vendetta, Letters from the Fire, Islander and Candlelight Red alongside many others, although most of these artists are usually absent from a mainstream alternative station, but only some are present on an active rock station. A massive rock station may occasionally include some popular alternative and indie rock that has crossed over from mainstream alternative radio such as Imagine Dragons, Young the Giant, Atlas Genius, The Neighbourhood, Awolnation, Alt-J, The 1975, Grouplove, Bastille, Twenty One Pilots, Kongos, Bear Hands, Bad Suns, Milky Chance, and The Colourist alongside some others.

Similar to massive rock stations, Active Rock stations play new hard rock, but emphasize mainstream hard rock music over new hard rock songs.

Here's an example of what a massive rock chart would look like

July 18, 2014

1. Nothing More - This is the Time (Ballast)
2. Starset - My Demons
3. Royal Blood - Out of the Black
4. You Me at Six - Room to Breathe
5. Of Mice & Men - Would You Still Be There
6. Crobot - Nowhere to Hide
7. Adelitas Way - Dog on a Leash
8. We as Human featuring Lacey Sturm - Take the Bullets Away
9. Like a Storm - Love the Way You Hate Me
10. Avatar - Bloody Angel
11. Bring Me the Horizon - Can You Feel My Heart
12. Devour the Day - Respect
13. Kongos - Come with Me Now
14. Framing Hanley - Criminal
15. Islander - Coconut Dracula
16. Letters from the Fire - Eleanor Rigby
17. Heartist - Skeletons
18. The Last Internationale - Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Indian Blood
19. Otherwise - Darker Side of the Moon
20. Within Reason - Enemy
21. The Amity Affliction - Pittsburgh
22. Escape the Fate - Picture Perfect
23. Eve to Adam - Locked and Loaded
24. Sleepwave - Through the Looking Glass
25. Asking Alexandria - Moving On
26. The Pretty Reckless- Messed Up World
27. Royal Bliss - Turn Me On
28. H2NY - Bleed
29. Beartooth - Beaten in Lips
30. Bad Seed Rising - Hey Kid
31. Rival Sons - Open My Eyes
32. Redlight King - Devil's Dance
33. The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
34. Twelve Foot Ninja - Coming for You
35. Motionless in White - Reincarnate
36. Twin Atlantic - Heart and Soul
37. Sakara - From Ashes
38. Gemini Syndrome - Morning Star
39. Big Data featuring Joywave - Dangerous
40. Bad Suns - Cardiac Arrest

Now you get the format? Reply if you think it's an amazing idea.

munkybear

Re: An idea for a New Hard Rock Radio Format

Post by munkybear » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 am

You really need to check out my station. KHDR 96.9 and 94.9 The Drive. We are in Barstow, CA...we cater to the travelers on the I-15 traveling between LA and Las Vegas...as well as our 200,000+ Mojave desert residents. We aren't a big market station at all, but we get 1.3 million potential. listeners each week traveling the I-15.

When I was given the opportunity to take over the rock station....i took it off a generic mainstream rock satellite and did an Active Rock in house...and i built the station I've always wanted to listen too myself. What i turned it into is exactly what you propose in your post. There are maybe 3 -5 bands in that list that i don't play. I have artist and songs in regular rotation that nobody else touches....in addition to the mainstream rock, active rock and alt rock....i also play metal that nobody else does...bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Machine Head, Protest the Hero, Mastadon, HED pe, Demon Hunter, Clutch, etc...are all part of our regular rotation.

Not being in a major market, being privately owned and being considered "nitch" radio since we play to the highway travelers...allows me the freedom to have a lot of fun and leeway with my playlist. It makes for great sounding radio...and after a little over a year now the locals and the travelers love it. they love the huge mix and variety we present to them. We have a huge playlist loaded with all kinds of rock from the last 35 years...and it works.

There is far too much rock in the world for stations to limit themselves to the same artists and tracks over and over again...most rock radio comes across stale and generic these days...cause they all play the same bunch of songs and bands...afraid to deviate from their comfort zones...whereas I like to let it fly. I truly believe that my station would be huge in major markets...but I also know that it would be too much for any corporate company to accept...as most owners and programmers are still stuck in old ways and afraid to push things forward...despite the need to bring radio to a new level to stay relevant and competitive.

So you're not alone in your thinking...some of us are right there with you and already pushing out that type of format your suggesting...and I actually kinda like the title Massive Rock...I think it's fitting. ..our rock playlist is pretty massive and always growing.

bcole74

Post by bcole74 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:43 pm

I like the idea of adding in the Rock-leaning Alternative songs (let's face it, some of what's played on Alternative isn't rock at all). However, I fear that if many artist feel there is no format of stations to send their songs too, because they will be drowned out by older material, then fewer and fewer bands will attempt to keep this format alive. When I first moved to Tampa Bay in late 2008, 98 Rock played nothing older than 2000, which for me was perfect. By that spring, they started playing more older songs, which was my biggest gripe with TK 101 in Pensacola. A couple of years later, 98 Rock further increased the amount of older music played each week on its station, which is pushing me to getting Sirius XM and listen to Octane when I get a new car. I like the idea for a cross between a Heritage and Mainsteam Rock Station, but not for Active Rock.

The biggest problem our format is facing is how poorly our albums/CDs sell, low sales for downloads or physical singles, and the lack of streams from either people simply listening to hits at the format or watching the videos. As late as 2008, Active Rock and Alternative Rock were very similar, but when the two wings split alternative seems to have taken all of the purchasing power with them. I have heard a number of songs at our format since Shinedown's "Second Chance", the last song to successfully crossover to pop from Active Rock, and thinking what a great song so many people in America are missing out on. Pop's recent hatred of ballads hurts the format too, as the "Power Ballads" always brought a group of fans into the Active Rock format, even if it was temporarily. Now, even pop songs that are released as ballads are expected to remixed into a dance track, so even though there have been quite a few great Rock ballads since "Second Chance", the only formats willing to touch them were the Mainstream/Heritage Rock, Alternative Rock, and Triple A; in other words these songs never leave the format.

What is particularly embarrassing for the Active Rock format is that Country fans (I actually like that format too) download and stream far more than Active Rock fans. Until our fans are willing to download a lot more of and stream a lot more of what they like at our format, labels are not going to take notice, and today's Rock bands will be pushed in the direction of Alternative. The music labels want money, and while selling 150,000 two or three weeks in a year does help, when the top selling Hard Rock Digital Download for 2013 is from a Led Zeppelin re-release from 40 years ago, that goes to show you how much today's Active Rock audience is downloading music. Also, next time you look at Billboard's Rock Streaming Chart, see if you can find any of the 25 streaming songs that originated from Active Rock (not crossed over from Alternative Rock, which is becoming a much more common trend -- it used to be the other way around).

slockwood

Post by slockwood » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:45 am

Active Rock and Alternative Rock really don't mix. They attract two different audiences. It won't work no matter how hard you try. Good luck.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 am

The average listeners will have heard of about 50% of those groups. Way to obscure for radio.

lp

Post by lp » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:21 am

Any hard rock format would have to be aimed at the upper demos, sorry, just not enough kids to support it. While I believe that the older demo will accept new music that's on the heavier side, they won't at all tolerate an alternative mix.