Women In Country Music

Moderator: jimmya

Drakea83

Women In Country Music

Post by Drakea83 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:44 pm

After an on-air discussion about women in country music that’s popped up over the last couple of days, Bryan/College Station’s KVMK-FM Maverick 100.9 will be going all women for the entire 9A hour tomorrow morning.

“I’ve always been a fan of great female country artists,” says Adam Drake, PD/Mornings for Maverick. “It’s been baffling to me why more great female artists aren’t pushed to the extent that they could be. With our on-air discussion this morning and great feedback from the listeners, we figured we’d show our love to the amazing women who shaped country music.”

The topic has been a hot button all over social media and most country music fans. In Bryan/College Station, TX, the listeners seem to be on board with hearing more female artists.

One listener responded to the conversation with “I love all country music, but there’s a trend in the male music that’s portraying drunk females and partying, the female artists aren’t all about that. I’d rather my daughter listen to music that makes her feel important and not where she feels she has to go get drunk.”

Drake says he hopes this conversation will move the music trend to trying to break female artists that have something to say.

With the rich history of women in country music, Patsy Cline, Reba, Loretta, Tanya Tucker, Lorrie Morgan, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, etc. tomorrow’s 9A hour can shape up to be an hour of some amazing music! Take a listen for yourself by listening online at maverickradio.com.

Facebook.com/Maverick1009
Twitter.com/MyMaverickRadio
Facebook.com/MyMaverickRadio

nascarholly

Re: Women In Country Music

Post by nascarholly » Thu May 28, 2015 2:43 pm

To me, the female singers of today are no where close to being as good as the ones that we do not hear anymore on the radio, Alison Krauss, LeAnn Rimes, Tanya Tucker being my most favorites, but the list goes on there of course. Another singer in my opinion that is not getting the radio time that they deserve is my most favorite singer period. Why isn't the newest song from James Otto named "Somewhere Tonight" being played??? I love him SO much!!!

God bless you and him and my other favorite singers always!!!

Holly in East Tennessee (a fan of Tanya since 1991, a fan of Alison since 1994, and a day one fan of LeAnn)
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto! (big smile)

pisces

Post by pisces » Sun May 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Great post Drakea83!

nascarholly

Post by nascarholly » Sun May 31, 2015 6:01 pm

I've been reading about what that Keith Hill guy has to say about women in country music. I don't agree with how the man feels, but I will say that I do feel bad for him. Its obvious that very few people agree with him if anyone does at all and I've seen messages from people elsewhere online who think that he should apologize for having such an opinion. To me, that man doesn't owe anyone anything. He had the right to share his opinion and just because so many people have a different opinion compared to his doesn't mean that he should have kept his opinion to himself especially if no one else is going to keep quiet and to me, those who decide to get worked up over another person's opinion only bring more attention to it when they decide to say anything about it at all and for all we know, getting people all bent out of shape may have been that man's every intention and if it was, what that man wanted was presented to him on a silver platter, not to mention getting all bent out of shape over what another person says only adds more value to that person's two cents and in my opinion, one person's opinion isn't supposed to be worth more than another person's opinion.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Also to me, if one person is not going to apologize for how they feel about something, they shouldn't expect anyone else to. Asking someone to do what you are not willing to do yourself will only make you look like a hypocrite.

pisces

Post by pisces » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 am

It's not his opinion, nascarholly, it's his work - it's what he does. He advises his clients to play fewer females based on data that he, from what I can tel, hasn't shared.

nascarholly

Post by nascarholly » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 pm

^^^ It is still what he has decided to put out there for everyone else to think of him.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

keithhill

Post by keithhill » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 am

Holly thanks.... and..

maybe this will help .... I saw this post and responded.... does this help world???
Dale Wall · Top Commenter
What makes it so frustrating that so call country radio and award shows won't play the women of country music but they will play any artist from any other music and treat the women that are already in country music like 3rd class citizens, Women vote , They have flown into Space, in 2012 the 1st female members in 80 years were allowed at the Augusta Golf Club - home of the Masters , this year the NFL will have it's 1st female referee and in 2016 we could elect the 1st woman president, BUT country music still won't give the women of country music the respect they have earned and deserve, Country music as a business is as sexist as it gets,, I think a lot has to do with it is male dominated , maybe it is pass time to get some women calling the shots.
Reply · Like · Unfollow Post · 15 hours ago
Keith Hill · Owner at Self-Employed
Dale... I agree with you about the pride in every other enterprise you mention.. going to space. The masters.. Yeah Girl power! I am not even against more women on the radio. Its just when we play more than 15% ratings go down. So you have what I would call (and I think I'm right about this) disconnected logic. I had to explain this to someone who used it in reverse. When ice cream sales go up there are more murders...so ice cream sales cause more murders. No summer time is the connection.. people are out hot.. and eat ice cream and well get into angry hostilities more. Thats a correlation! Ice cream and murder is not a correlation. The numbers track the same. I have no acrimony to women running the worldm A woman president, an all woman congress, an all woman supreme court, every lawyer, doctor, anything be a woman. Its just when you play more than 15% of them on country radio ratings go down.

nascarholly

Post by nascarholly » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 pm

^^^ Hey! You are so welcome! :) :) :)

By the way, if you don't mind my asking. how do you feel about the tomato shirts that Martina McBride seems to be getting out there? Because there are so many talented guys in country no matter what's going on with the girls, I would love to have one that says "country music lettuce lover" on it. :D :D :D

Sadly though a lot of my favorite males are not played as much as they used to be either.

James Otto
Trace Adkins
Darryl Worley
Brad Paisley
Kenny Chesney
Toby Keith
Hal Ketchum

God bless you and them and Martina always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

keithhill

Post by keithhill » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Holly... I am fine with the Tomato Shirts. This whole issue has died down.... because I was correct about the metric I suggested.