WXXL Sex Toy Giveaway

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
lkj

WXXL Sex Toy Giveaway

Post by lkj » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 pm

Nothing like a soft, lovable rabbit to share with the family at EASTER ... but not at CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WXXL (XL 106.7)/ORLANDO. Ya see ... XL 106.7 is giving away "those rabbits" not the traditional rabbits, twice daily in all dayparts.

And the response? XL 106.7 PD MICHAEL BRYAN told ALL ACCESS, "We're here to please women, and we take our mission and that responsibility very seriously. The reaction has been over the top -- it's the hottest prize ... and it certainly gives a whole new meaning to 'GOOD FRIDAY'."

Comparing a sex toy giveaway to one of the most solemn days on the Christian calendar is beyond crass and classless. Where does Clear Channel find these people? :roll:

Michael Bryan, you're not clever. You're just a tool.

rowdyron

Re: WXXL Sex Toy Giveaway

Post by rowdyron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 am

Here's my take on this... There is an audience for everything. They obviously found their audience with this and whom they were trying to reach. Its going to receive some controversy and press but this will be what the station is remembered for.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 am

I agree with the previous post. GREAT idea for any day but a religious, sacred day. VERY foolish move by the PD (or whomever was in charge that day) and a completely tasteless one at that.

What is really sad about this is that:

A: Nobody ever gave a thought to the fact that they were (essentially) committing blasphemy or
B: They thought of it, but didn't give a shit.

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:13 am

Stop bringing your religious beliefs into this. When did Catholics or Christians become dictators of this planet?? Did you ever think that maybe all the winners were Atheists, Agnostics or don't subscribe to your religion? Sounds like the most fun thing Clear Channel has done in a decade. Good for WXXL. You go wait for the second coming and let them bring on their 2nd cumming or 3rd or................

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 am

That was too idiotic to even respond.

daver

Post by daver » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

This is just disgusting. No appropriate for any day. It's no wonder this country has gone to hell in a hand basket. Some matters are best left...private.

Where is the line??????????????????????????????????? I don't know anymore.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 am

This goes beyond a simple lack of class. This speaks more to a total and utter lack of creativity. Appealing to the lowest common denominator seems to be all some can muster.

q

Post by q » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 am

What!?! Easter is a sacred, religious day? I thought it was the day that an imaginary bunny brought candy and hid eggs for children to find.

Who knew.

radiocafe

Post by radiocafe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

Hey Guys.... I've been reading your comments. My quote was over-the-top for AllAccess, I agree. When I read it I thought I should probably have Joel remove it... sounded funny on my call with him, but I can see how it might offend Christians. For that, I apologize. I was just excited about it and tried to get in a funny line.

But, for our actual audience (not the radio trades or industry), the contest was handled very tastefully.... and created buzz in the marketplace. We never tied it to Good Friday, etc. In fact, it was over before then. It was a classic secular Easter promotion... only for adults. It was funny and different. Never our intention to be crass or tasteless... we're a female-targeted station and this was handled in a way that the audience found acceptable.

Michael Bryan
Program Director - XL 106.7

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:19 pm

But Michael, surely in retrospect you must understand how something like a sex-toy giveaway during one of the most sacred periods in the Christian world would be extremely offensive to many listeners.

I recall (and Joel does too I imagine) when I felt the need to put my morning show "on the edge." I felt that, to compete with some of the other morning shows, I had to go toe to toe with them. If their bits were a little "edgy", then mine had to be as well. This was a time when radio was just beginning to take on an adult tenor, and I thought that I had to be a part of that.

Some years ago I took a job at a station which was owned by a man who judged every morning bit by what he thought his Baptist preacher would say about it on Sunday morning. There was NO tolerance for anything that might be construed in any way as sexually oriented. But when I visited the market and listened around, I heard every morning guy in town doing blue material. I figured this was my niche... play it squeaky clean. It's tough to be squeaky clean, believe me. It's easy to go for the crotch bit and get the laugh. It's damned hard to avoid the crotch entirely and get laughs. You seriously have to write that stuff, and it takes time. It does for me anyway, I'm not that good.

But guess what. That show averaged well over a 20 share against competition such as Tim and Willie, Bobby Rich and other great morning shows. We wiped the floor with them. I was one of the 10 highest rated morning men in the country (based on quarter hour average) every year I worked there. And we did it by making damned sure that, if a mom was listening to my show while driving her kids to school, she would never, ever hear anything that could possible make her feel uncomfortable.

Clean aint easy, but it works big time!

Scott Carpenter