R.I.P. Active Rock Radio 1986-2016

Moderator: moe

revevilunion51

R.I.P. Active Rock Radio 1986-2016

Post by revevilunion51 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:49 am

Well, it's been said, once a Florida PD's dream has passed away.

As I look into the active rock chart, I start to cry, thinking, how did these electronic pop and quiet soft rock songs get on this chart. Active Rock used to separate itself from Modern Rock radio in the 1980s and 1990s, playing artists that were typically rare to find on a Modern Rock station like Type O Negative, Prong, and Biohazard. Then came this.

Here's the thing, say I want to listen to the "one and only" Active Rock station in my area, a heavy kick *** Skindred song is on, you hear the loudness of the heavy vocals, followed by a heavy Karnivool song with the structures scrambling your brain, both songs make you wanna run on the treadmill at light speed, cook a nice Hungry Man Healthy Dinner fast, and become your motor's car wash by cleaning off the mess, leaving you to losing 200lbs in one day. Then, you're only "hard and heavy" rock station takes off with some Electronic Grunge Pop (No Fixed Address, Threat to Survival), Meditative Soft Rock (The Sound of Silence), or even worse, Emo Power Pop (Post-Hiatus Fall Out Boy).

And to see this happen, it's a painful and sad, and there has been "no one" to help me get the original active rock back, everyone I heard from has given their refusal to fix active rock radio. Now, all I have to say is...

R.I.P. Active Rock Radio, goodbye

scotmail

Re: R.I.P. Active Rock Radio 1986-2016

Post by scotmail » Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 am

revevilunion51 wrote:Well, it's been said, once a Florida PD's dream has passed away.

As I look into the active rock chart, I start to cry, thinking, how did these electronic pop and quiet soft rock songs get on this chart. Active Rock used to separate itself from Modern Rock radio in the 1980s and 1990s, playing artists that were typically rare to find on a Modern Rock station like Type O Negative, Prong, and Biohazard. Then came this.

Here's the thing, say I want to listen to the "one and only" Active Rock station in my area, a heavy kick *** Skindred song is on, you hear the loudness of the heavy vocals, followed by a heavy Karnivool song with the structures scrambling your brain, both songs make you wanna run on the treadmill at light speed, cook a nice Hungry Man Healthy Dinner fast, and become your motor's car wash by cleaning off the mess, leaving you to losing 200lbs in one day. Then, you're only "hard and heavy" rock station takes off with some Electronic Grunge Pop (No Fixed Address, Threat to Survival), Meditative Soft Rock (The Sound of Silence), or even worse, Emo Power Pop (Post-Hiatus Fall Out Boy).

And to see this happen, it's a painful and sad, and there has been "no one" to help me get the original active rock back, everyone I heard from has given their refusal to fix active rock radio. Now, all I have to say is...

R.I.P. Active Rock Radio, goodbye
It lives on through online radio. Lots of choices available.

revevilunion51

Post by revevilunion51 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Are there any online stations that don't play songs like "State of My Head" by Shinedown nor "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed? If so, tell me, alright.

kevinkerr

Post by kevinkerr » Fri May 06, 2016 7:34 am

Agreed. We've been plagued with an overly-tight rotation of the same music as well. A year ago, we had one in-house guy on our Active Rock station that would KILL his morning show with music that was intended for the format, blowing out all of this new Alternative, soft stuff. But he was good, and as such, got snatched up by a bigger market, more enticing job.

Unfortunately, it's our audience that suffers. The majority of our market loves the heavy stuff, but programming is trying to take a lot of that away. Too bad man. I really liked the idea of the format and up until about a year ago, it was still my go-to. Now... internet radio... in my own work place. The best we can do now is just saturate our website with news and digital content regarding the bands that should get played, but don't.

gsteele

Post by gsteele » Fri May 06, 2016 7:52 am

SiriusXM's Octane is one of the most listened to channels on the service. The format has just been executed so poorly by broadcast radio operators, and has become an after-thought, not a priority. I know the format can be successful, and a moneymaker.

viktorwilt

Post by viktorwilt » Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Active Rock isn't dead. There are plenty of stations doing it right, developing a rabid passionate audience, killing it in the ratings, and generating good revenue with a properly trained sales team. Active Rock is the best that it has been in over a decade if you're playing the right new music.

DBR96A

Post by DBR96A » Mon May 09, 2016 2:54 pm

gsteele wrote:SiriusXM's Octane is one of the most listened to channels on the service. The format has just been executed so poorly by broadcast radio operators, and has become an after-thought, not a priority. I know the format can be successful, and a moneymaker.
Do you know exactly where Octane ranks among the Sirius XM channels in terms of audience size? I'm legitimately curious, because I've postulated that their audience has grown dramatically since 2012, when terrestrial radio corporations became openly hostile to the Active Rock format.

mattkellogg

Post by mattkellogg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Hey Revevilunion51!

As a former music director for a now defunct active rocker, I can relate to your points. I think the fact is there's not that much good music anymore, and that, like other formats (Music Row Country, EDMpop, Altpop, etc...), the formula that made Active Rock what it was has been over done and over done again. Further, look at those that perfected that formula -- they seem to be the only ones still making music 10+ years later: Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, FFDP, and yes - Shinedown, Godsmack, and Disturbed. When you have essentially ten bands that carry the format, its bound to fail. Beyond that, I think hard rock, just naturally got harder and the bands that I'm digging are having a hard time charting and have long life to reach recurrent status. For me, there is a gaping hole between 2009ish to 2016. Good news is we have Ghost, Beartooth, and NothingMore as a new, heavier "Active Rock" format begins to take shape. For me, I think what lacks in the format for now, we need to make up with that music from the 80's and 90's. Rock & Roll is a blessed because, one can Like Ghost, then Iron Maiden, then UFO -- spanning five decades of rock and you can still hear that on a good station. You don't get that with Country or Pop. I'm working on that right now -- an active rocker that's heavy on 90's, 00's and core hard rock bands that stand the test of time. You can check it out here - I'd love your feedback! 101.7 The Fox: https://live365.com/station/a62423