Wake Up!!!! Hot Ac and CHR

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
donobrian

Wake Up!!!! Hot Ac and CHR

Post by donobrian » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 am

Right now 9/28/16 not a single US CHR or HOT AC station is playing James Arthur "say you won't let go".

It is just like the Gnash song all over again, except this song is stronger and even more obvious. Did all of us with ears give up on this business? I do it part time because I noticed the way people who care about the industry and get are used.

One other funny thing, all these pds who can't hear shhh and haven't a clue about the music their listeners like, can only follow mediabase, you can train a monkey to do that. Their defensive line when exposed for the frauds that they are is "well it's about knowing the right time to play a song".

What it really is about is that you are clueless and the new songs you have jumped out on were all duds so now you are scared and now just follow the pack, you react to trends rather than set them. Yes you can set them when you choose the right songs. Yeah it will never be 100% but it still isn't now with the culture of reactionary mediabase monitoring. I got a better percentage of being right and my picks are before even a single chr spin in the US as well. FACTS ARE FACTS! HITS ARE HITS! Yeah keep playing that new Gaga song, you don't even know its a dud until you see scores, meaning you played a bad song for 6-7 weeks before it was familiar enough to get the scores that tell you its a dud when some of us knew it after 2 listens.

zebster

Re: Wake Up!!!! Hot Ac and CHR

Post by zebster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 am

When I see posts like this I just think there's a reason the poster isn't a PD. Calling everybody stupid and deaf is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I say this as a PD with a reputation of being too outspoken for my own good, and as PD who takes chances on new music.
Try diplomacy. It's popular.
Zeb Noris

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:21 pm

So you would have had the same response to me 6 months ago if I talked the same truth In Italy about the shoddy construction work done on the homes built there. How many people died from that earthquake who would otherwise still be alive if that construction was done right by people who cared and who were capable?

There are no other posts like the above one because of the rarity of the individual who can discover and hear hit music first in 2016. If the NBA was like radio Steph Curry would be doing something else right now. I've went the route of biting my tongue for years but there gets to a point where you need to vent when something you love and cherish is being destroyed.

The same idiocy that led to all these companies being over leveraged by paying quadruple what the stations they bought were worth is the same thing that is going on with the on air product.

zebster

Post by zebster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:47 am

So I guess you're not actually trying to be persuasive.

gcarrillo2783

Post by gcarrillo2783 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:43 am

If it's that good a record, play it on your station and don't worry if anyone else plays it. Play what you believe. Nowadays there are so many ways to access music, nobody gives a medal for the station that plays it first. Conversely, stations that don't play a record don't get demerit.

Unless you are getting coin for how well the record does, why does it matter if no Hot AC or CHR is playing it? FWIW, as a CHR PD, the record is ok. I don't think it's more connective to a CHR audience than Gnash to a point where it clearly is outpacing 'I Hate U, I Love U'.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, friend.

newmusicdude

Post by newmusicdude » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Why is CHR not on Rob Thomas Pieces? And why didn't anyone have the balls to put it in Power's on HAC? I say same to AC about High and Powers. Even though its hangin out at #12 on AC.
Please tell me what anyone doesn't like about this song?

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:29 am

Listening to that song doesn't provide you with the answer?

I love that I got attacked on the other board for using the Gnash song as an example back before it had a single US airplay spin, today it is top 10.

This just comes easy for me, I predict future top 10 hits before any USA pd gives the song a single spin. I also see through "perfect illusions".

I'm glad you like the Rob Thomas, he is a great guy btw. The song is not a hit, it is what it is it's not what it's not.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 am

gcarrillo2783, can we revisit this conversation in say 2 months? Will you give me credit? From what I've experienced these pds see me a threat with a gift they simply don't have, but at the end of the day I'm helping you, not hurting you, that's what really counts.

bcole74

Post by bcole74 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Why didn't Top 40 and Hot AC choose not to play Disturbed's "The Sound Of Silence"? The song was selling well, getting a lot of video views, and even reached the US Spotify Top 200. TSOS set a record for the most spins and impressions at Active Rock radio. TSOS is still in recurrency on Alt and AR. I could say the same about that song, since obviously there was a public demand for it. placed highly on AR and ALT Rate The Music too. Even on Alt the song only reached the T 20 during one week, and not for an official chart. Nevertheless, TSOS peaked in the 40s on both formats (spins wise, not sure about audience).

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Right again, not a single programmer in this country knew of this song when I first posted this, now watch them finally getting it 5 months later. I'm not calling anyone out by name.... just showing how sad the state of the industry is....