What do you do after radio?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
frankincleveland

What do you do after radio?

Post by frankincleveland » Wed May 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Radio gigs getting fewer and farther between, and the jobs that are out there only paying in the $28k to $35k range.. has me wondering about life after radio.

What sorts of careers are radio kids transitioning into that allow them to pay the bills?

onlysandro

Re: What do you do after radio?

Post by onlysandro » Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm

I've been googling "food stamps," lately.

yobro

Post by yobro » Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm

again... I wouldn't be able to make any more anywhere else than I make now. PEOPLE... STOP THINKING THIS WAY!! If you have talent, there is money to be made! Holy crap, $28k to $35k??? I made that in the 90's!! sheesh.... stop listening to small market PD's. Ugh. you're worth more than that.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Would you like a list?
How about starting your own voice-over business? Or imaging?
How about transitioning into another better paying part of radio?
How about looking into larger markets?
Hiring an agent?
Adding a part-time job elsewhere, like a PA announcer at a local sports venue.

Just a few ideas.

Gerald422

Post by Gerald422 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Retail management and healthcare done both since exiting radio.

towerspace

Post by towerspace » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:04 am

After nearly 20 years in broadcasting, (at least 15 of those behind the mic) I moved out of state and attended college, becoming a wind turbine technician, then transitioned to Parts Manager (good with numbers) and after layoff, I worked as a parts clerk for a Fortune 500 outfit I still work for. I'm presently a biodiesel process technician with one of the company's subsidiaries. Some have asked why I left this industry with the talents I both learned and gave to for so long. After all, I came aboard in the 80's when there were still a decent number of mom & pop ops still around. I spun actual records with the photos to prove it and used what was taught in a high school vo-tech program. I have good memories of those days.
I still have the pipes and have done voiceover work. It's nice not having the degree of stress and deadlines I was subject to. I have setup a home studio with multitrack capabilities and two microphones, but I do things generally on my own terms today. I'm also viewing additional opportunities and putting some time to hopefully get me there. I won't say too much for now. :)

jimwalsh

Post by jimwalsh » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

docshoworlando

Post by docshoworlando » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Whoever said there are plenty of good paying jobs , dont listen to people who say " if you have talent" i got talent and a resume people would pay for. Means nothing, the more job's that are cut, and talented people too. It creates a numbers game, it's the true talents that go, and squeaky voiced but cheap talent stay, for the most part, i got in , when they really cared what you sounded like, now they want people they can control 100 percent, down to the word, creative? nope. People that can be replaced that would hardly get noticed. So try finding a job in that mess?

zarrin

Post by zarrin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 pm

If you still have a gig, be thankful. More than likely,it'll be your last one.
Go back to school,learn a trade,skill outside of radio. Prepare.

successfulhost

Post by successfulhost » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I had a trade before I got into radio. One that paid better. So between gigs, I go back to that.

Doing radio is a lot less stressful when you don't HAVE to do it. Then when that PD tells you "good news, you're getting a $100 a month" raise and your check doesn't even cover rent anymore, you can tell him to go to hell.