How Radio SHOULD be sold

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver, pmsimon

dannyboyardee

How Radio SHOULD be sold

Post by dannyboyardee » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:22 pm

First and foremost your people NEED to understand and believe that radio is still the best option for advertising , especially but not limited to the small business.

OLD SCHOOL, Gm's and Directors of sales remember when they could recite
" Why Radio" to any prospect and yet we no longer teach it. Why?

Why have we lost the basics that built our industry? While we clamor to throw anyone who will buy a spot, on the air. We ignore what will make the campaign work. Today's account executive is either trying to sell with the hit and miss method or they have been around long enough to " maintain their list ". The only other people who seem to remember what works have risen to high above the ranks to implement and teach these techniques.

The way to keep the customer isn't to under promise so you can over deliver.

This is RADIO. An effective campaign will do what you say it will. The trick is to let the customer know the momentum will not be overnight. Keep them off the ledge until Branding starts to take hold.

Remain conservative in your approach yes, but you still have to build up what the final outcome will be.

As an account executive, I gave money back guarantees. That's right. I promised to pay them if it didn't work ,.. providing they stayed on for the full six months. I never had to pay a dime back.

Take care of your customer and he wont jump to the other station.
If you agree that A) radio is still the best option and B) Client retention is the answer to revenue issues

Then feel free to contact me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

chococraftinfo

Re: How Radio SHOULD be sold

Post by chococraftinfo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 am

Thanks for sharing this post. :)

dannyboyardee

Re: How Radio SHOULD be sold

Post by dannyboyardee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Thank you for the encouragement.