MJ on Classic Rock?

butters81

MJ on Classic Rock?

Post by butters81 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Heard Michael Jackson on a classic rock station today... yes i threw up a little

WHAT IS GOING ON???

donobrian

Re: MJ on Classic Rock?

Post by donobrian » Mon May 16, 2016 7:50 am

The saying you can always bank on is "you don't get hurt by what you don't play". It's not a perfect motto but it makes sense in don't rock the boat.
You have an expectation to deliver upon every time someone chooses your station. Even someone who loves MJ, they don't come to your classic rock station for him, even them you want to give them what you are known for. I love burgers but I would find it weird to see one as a offering at Chik fil a.

Now when Prince died it made sense to play some of his songs. First it is a special occassion and Prince has a reputation for being a quality guitar player. That hall of fame song was a great choice for a classic rock station and with the right jock to sell the moment as a tribute was a home run for many stations. Q1043 in NYC played Prince when he died and the Dj brilliantly talked about a personal experience where he was given the chance to see Prince in concert, he reluctantly went not expecting to enjoy it and it turned out to be one of the best shows he ever went to. A guy known to have seen have hall of fame act and more over the last 30 years, that's called making an impression.

So on the 10th anniversary of MJ's death it would be fine for a classic rock station to play "beat it", but that's about it imo.

As for Prince I was out and heard Purple Rain on z100, in one second I knew he was gone. One of these cheesy cluleless chr's and I would have just thought "weird choice". There is such a difference between good and bad radio across all formats and it is not always market size. The best morning show on the planet is out of Sydney for instance, their chrs are so much more in tune with their audience than what we have in this country.

seabass

Post by seabass » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:56 am

So someone played Michael Jackson. Tell me Mr. Radio Experts, would you have rather hear Piano Man or Black Water for the 10,000th time (and that's just this week) instead?

daver

Post by daver » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Both are high testing songs at Classic Hits..perhaps Classic Rock as well. Still more appropriate than MJ on Classic ROCK!

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 am

Kid Rock/Sheryl Crow on Country, or Skynyrd. It happens. I think sometimes PD's program by feel rather by strict format specs. If they know their market, the #'s will tell the tale.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:06 am

Who plays lead guitar on Beat It? Did MJ get played on MTV back in the day? Of course he did. Did songs from Thriller get played on rock stations back in the day? Of course they did.

daver

Post by daver » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Beat It probably got some play on what we called AOR stations back in the day. But that was probably it.

I doubt Billie Jean got played or PYT at AOR radio. So other than Beat It, I'd question anything else.

MTV played "Top 40" hits. MTV is what brought CHR back from the dead.

petenick

Post by petenick » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Beat It was def played on Classic Rock stations. At that time MJ did not have the negative stigma he has today. I also heard State Of Shock on Classic Rock stations. Would I recommend it now? No way. But on a classic rock leaning classic hits station? Yes. Maybe you were listening to a Classic Hits station that leans rock.

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:51 am

MJ has absolutely NO BUSINESS on a Classic Rock Station. Think of your P1's.........They do not want to hear him on a Classic Rock Radio Station. I was doing Mornings on a Classic Rock station in the 80's (One Of The First) and MJ was NEVER played. Trust me...

zinger7

Post by zinger7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 am

seabass wrote:So someone played Michael Jackson. Tell me Mr. Radio Experts, would you have rather hear Piano Man or Black Water for the 10,000th time (and that's just this week) instead?
Are you Seabass from 96KRock?