New internet station

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver, pmsimon

infinity1

New internet station

Post by infinity1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to venture into internet streaming and I am totally lost! I have a background in radio,but it was strictly on the business(sales) side. Now I'm looking to get into the programming side with my brother who was a former jock.

The issue is there's so much out here and everybody says you need this and that. My goal is to create a mobile app station that can stream live or voicetrak shows. Also I would want to make sure that we can have at least 500-1000, people if not unlimited who can listen each day for a minimum of 1hour each. (sorry for the detail)

I've looked at radio.co, radio king, shoutcast and nothing makes sense. Can someone help. And please remember that this side of the business I know absolutely nothing about. Thank you!

jordan957

Re: New internet station

Post by jordan957 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am

Hope you're not looking to make money, because that won't happen. You won't have enough listeners, and monetizing that audience is impossible anyhow -- given that it is small and scattered. You are aware you need to pay royalty fees, right? Those aren't cheap. Don't mean to sound negative, but the reality is that while it may be fun, it's not a cash cow.

jackatnite

Post by jackatnite » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:01 am

Even if you have a terrestrial radio station attached to it, you won't have 500-1000 listeners listening an hour a day, unless you have some ad bucks to promote it. Even then, it depends on how unique and special the station is. Hint: It's an internet radio station. It's best if there is a nonprofit involved with some sort of mission. Otherwise, it gets really expensive. I've created stations both for standalones and broadcasters. Let me know if you need help.

matadormi

Post by matadormi » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:07 pm

jordan957 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am
Hope you're not looking to make money, because that won't happen. You won't have enough listeners, and monetizing that audience is impossible anyhow -- given that it is small and scattered. You are aware you need to pay royalty fees, right? Those aren't cheap. Don't mean to sound negative, but the reality is that while it may be fun, it's not a cash cow.
Royalty fees are included on live365, but you won’t be able to get your breaks in an hour exactly where you want them with their software. There is also limited storage space if you want to have a deep library; but you could make a current based approach fit the space. BUT...rotations are completely DIY, you couldn’t do format hours to where there are individual automatic rotations within the hour, though that might be possible with other software that could work with live365.

charlietrece

Post by charlietrece » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 am

Internet streaming radios are a losing cause from the financial pov. It may be an expensive hobby thou. I've been running one for 17 years when streaming online was a complete novelty. Changed formats, names, shows, websites, servers you name it, bottom line after thousands and thousands of dollars in the red I just keep doing it for fun. Call me a fool, call me what you want but paraphrasing The Stones "It's only rock and roll but I like it" although these days I'm running an urban R&B format for a change. Good luck with your hobby.