-
Jeffrey Katzenberg, Melina Matsoukas, Barry Jenkins To Serve As Judges For 'Elton John: The Cut' Competition On YouTube
January 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM (PT)
What do you think? Add your comment below. -
DREAMWORKS NEW MEDIA Chairman JEFFREY KATZENBERG, GRAMMY-winning music video director MELINA MATSOUKAS and "Moonlight" director BARRY JENKINS are lending their expertise to select the final three winning entries for “ELTON JOHN: The Cut supported by YOUTUBE” -- a global competition to create the official music videos for three of the singer’s most iconic songs, “Bennie and the Jets,” “Rocket Man” and “Tiny Dancer" (NET NEWS 12/12/16).
The three will serve as judges for the competition that gives aspiring creators from all over the world the opportunity to apply their creative vision to creating music videos for these iconic hits.
Together with ELTON and writing partner BERNIE TAUPIN, three winners will be selected, and those winning entries will premiere on YOUTUBE in summer of 2017. Entries are now officially open to the public.
Commented KATZENBERG: “Like countless millions of others around the planet, I’ve been a fan of SIR ELTON JOHN since 'Tiny Dancer' made a giant impact on music lovers everywhere. But in the early ‘90s, it was my extraordinary good fortune to get to know him personally when he wrote the incredible songs for 'The Lion King.' Since then, not only have I gotten to continue to work with him, but I’ve had the privilege of calling him a friend. So, I can think of no better way to start the new year than to embark on this new journey with ELTON, as he brings phenomenal creativity and innovation to YOUTUBE.”
MATSOUKAS, the video director behind BEYONCE’s “Formation” and RIHANNA’s “We Found Love” adds, “I grew up on music videos in the MTV era. Having the space to experiment and learn as I was getting started in my filmmaking career was vital to my success. It’s a dream to be part of this program which is providing that opportunity for emerging directors and redefining the relationship between such an iconic artist and his fans through video.”
Stated JENKINS: “Music is core to my films and to my creative process. ‘The Cut’ is so exciting to me because it combines a number of things I’m passionate about. As a filmmaker whose first film was made with the DIY tools of digital cinema, I love how the democratization of the filmmaking process and platforms like YOUTUBE enables people to tell stories that in previous generations simply could not be told. I hope to see ideas for this competition that push boundaries and defy expectations.”
“Artists like me have to embrace technology, because it’s the only way forward,” says ELTON. “One of the reasons we are doing this project with YOUTUBE is to encourage young filmmakers to create visual ideas for these songs, and it gives us the chance to share these songs with younger fans. I’ve always had a passion for youth and passion for the new. This is very exciting because we’ve never seen videos for these songs.”
In honor of their participation in the program, a donation of $20,000 will be made in honor of each judge to a charity of their choice. KATZENBERG has selected the MOTION PICTURE AND TELEVISION FUND (MPTF) and JENKINS has selected AFRICAN HERITAGE CULTURAL ARTS CENTER, while MATSOUKAS will announce her charity at a later date.
Applicants can find contest details and advice on how to enter the competition at https://thecut.eltonjohn.com/. Music video entries for each of the songs will feature different artistic elements -- submissions for “Rocket Man” will feature animation, “Tiny Dancer” will be live-action, and “Bennie and the Jets” will feature choreography.
The competition closes on JANUARY 23rd and is open to anyone over 16, subject to local terms and conditions.

