Federal Judge Blocks Release Of Prince EP 'DELIVERANCE'
April 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM (PT)
Late YESTERDAY (NET NEWS 4/19), ALL ACCESS reported that PRINCE's estate, which was headed by CHARLES KOPPELMAN and LONDELL McMILLAN until they were replaced by SPOTIFY's TROY CARTER earlier this month, is now suing ROGUE MUSIC ALLIANCE and producer GEORGE BOXILL for proposing to release songs from the late superstar's vault (NET NEWS 4/19).
Late last night a federal judge granted the estate's request for a restraining order. TMZ reports that, "means the 'DELIVERANCE' EP will not be released on FRIDAY, the first anniversary of PRINCE's death. According to docs, obtained by TMZ, the court said it appears GEORGE IAN BOXILL, the producer who put together 'DELIVERANCE' has no right to distribute the music to the public. The judge referenced a confidentiality agreement purportedly signed by BOXILL when recording with PRINCE in 2006. BOXILL was ordered to turn over all recordings to the estate."
The EP has disappeared from iTUNES, APPLE MUSIC, GOOGLE PLAY and AMAZON, but the single continues to be available..
MATTHEW WILSON, the attorney for RMA, issued the following statement: “The FEDERAL COURT located in MINNESOTA has temporarily enjoined the release of the remaining unreleased tracks on the ‘Deliverance’ EP. The court order has not enjoined the released single ‘Deliverance.’ Therefore the ‘Deliverance’ single will continue to be sold.”
RMA co-founder DAVID STALEY told ROLLING STONE, “I was pleased by the ruling last night, which in a nutshell indicated everything that has been released up to the time of the judge’s ruling, late evening APRIL 19th, can be and should be enjoyed by the fans. This includes the ‘Deliverance’ single and all other released works. My team and I are excited for the ‘Deliverance’ single to be available again to PRINCE’s loyal fans. I, like Ian, feel ‘Deliverance’ is a very timely song and believe it will bring comfort to many in these trying times.”