-
U.S. Attorney’s Office Files For Injunction Against Alleged Worcester Pirate FM Operator
March 5, 2019 at 3:04 PM (PT)
What do you think? Add your comment below. -
In an escalation of the government’s battle against pirate radio operators, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in WORCESTER, MA has filed a civil action seeking an injunction against an alleged unlicensed FM station operator.
The suit alleges that VASCO OBURINI and CHRISTIAN PRAISE INTERNATIONAL CHURCH have been operating an unlicensed radio station on 97.1 FM in WORCESTER and previously operated an unlicensed station on 102.3 FM. Multiple warnings, the FCC said, went unheeded, and a $15,000 fine was followed by a resumption of broadcasting on a different frequency.
”It is a potential hazard to public safety for pirate radio stations to broadcast illegally and interfere with critical radio communication,” said U.S. Attorney ANDREW E. LELLING. “Like any member of the community, the operators of these illegal stations could have applied for radio licenses and operated their stations in compliance with the law. When they choose to operate illegally, and continue those operations after being warned multiple times, action must be taken.”
“This groundbreaking step, for an injunction to stop a pirate radio operator’s illegal activities, is part of our continued effort efforts to combat illegal broadcasting,” said FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief ROSEMARY HAROLD. “As we work with our law enforcement colleagues to use every tool in our toolbox to combat pirate radio, I welcome the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT's renewed use of its Section 401(a) injunction authority. Along with fines, equipment seizures, and warnings, this action underlines our continued interest in combating this serious problem. We sincerely thank the MASSACHUSETTS U.S. Attorney's Office and commend the outstanding work of our hardworking FCC Field agents.”

