-
Official: Talk Host, Former Congressman Joe Walsh Will Challenge Trump In GOP Primaries; Salem To Drop His National Show
August 26, 2019 at 12:09 PM (PT)
What do you think? Add your comment below. -
Former Congressman turned syndicated SALEM News-Talk WIND-A (AM 560 THE ANSWER)/CHICAGO and WNYM-A (AM 970 THE ANSWER)/NEW YORK host JOE WALSH has confirmed the reports (NET NEWS 8/22) that he will challenge President DONALD TRUMP for the Republican presidential nomination in 2020, telling ABC "THIS WEEK" host GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS that he will "do whatever I can. I don't want (TRUMP) to win."
WALSH, previously a supporter of TRUMP ("I helped create TRUMP," a contrite WALSH told STEPHANOPOULOS), has more recently been harshly critical of the President; he is joining former MASSACHUSETTS Governor WILLIAM WELD in formally challenging TRUMP, with former Rep. MARK SANFORD (R-NC) and former OHIO Governor JOHN KASICH likely to join the primary races.
TRUMP campaign Communications Dir. TIM MURTAUGH gave a one-word response to ABC NEWS regarding WALSH's declaration: "Whatever."
On MONDAY, SALEM RADIO NETWORK announced that it is cancelling WALSH's syndicated show effective in 30 days, concluding SEPTEMBER 26th. In an announcement from SALEM SVP/Spoken Word Format PHIL BOYCE, affiliates were notified that the syndicator is exercising its right to drop the show with 30 days' notice and that WALSH has the option to continue with another syndicator. WALSH's local show will continue to air in CHICAGO until he files the paperwork that will make him a legal candidate. SRN may offer a replacement for the national show, and BOYCE said that the network "will work with any affiliates who want to discontinue airing" the show due to equal time concerns.

