10 Questions with ... Michael Mason
August 16, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
One day I was sitting in a college parking lot, looking for an excuse to not go in to class. Then I heard the Z100 morning show say "Come try out to be on our new show." That was all I needed to hear! I went to the radio station, told some dumb story on the air, and basically was escorted out. Right before I got to the lobby I remember thinking, "This is me, I cannot leave without a job." So I stopped in my tracks and said, "I'll do anything to work here." I was then taken to Jen Daltons office, and that's where it all began. Now I've been from Portland (Z100 & 94.7 NRK) to Seattle (104.9 The Monkey) and now doing afternoon-drive on 102.1 The X, Richmond's Rock Station.
1. What stands out the most from your first job in radio?
I had a two day/night experience with Avril Lavigne right when "complicated" was huge. For an 18 year old, radio newbie, I was SOO excited.
2. What excited you most about moving to Richmond to do PM-drive on The X?
Hands down the fact that WRXL is a legendary radio station and the only rock station in Richmond!
3. How would you describe your show?
If Maxim magazine had a radio show, this would be it -- Rock, Sports, & Ladies.
4. What makes your show unique?
My show is unique because I put everything I have into making sure each break is the best it can be. I'm a man obsessed. The competition doesn't know what they're up against.
5. What do you find most amusing about your audience? Most annoying?
The most amusing thing about my audience is the southern accent. It's SO thick! I honestly can't think of anything I dislike about my listeners. They're the best!
6. What part of your job do you like best? Least?
I love my on air shift, I love being creative, and I love making videos for the station website.
The part I like LEAST is getting bogged down with commercial production.
7. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
8. What are you most passionate about?
Being a professional, and doing the best show I can, every time that mic cracks!
9. What would surprise people most about you?
I'm freakishly tall!
10. What has been the single biggest highlight of your radio career?
Meeting "Delilah," moving into her guest house, and watching how she cares so much for others. Through her I met Kraig Kitchin (Premiere) and learned even more. Those two changed my life, forced me to grow up, and showed me how radio's "heavy hitters" do it!
What are your hobbies?
Playing with my Boston Terriers, and doing my show!
Last non-industry job?
First record ever purchased?
Favorite band of all-time?
30 Seconds To Mars