10 Questions with ... Guy Dark
February 15, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WALE/Fall River, MA; WKBK/Keene, NH; WKNE/
- Keene, NH; WHDQ/Claremont, NH; KQWB/Fargo, ND; WRQC/Minneapolis; KWOD/Sacramento; KRZQ/Reno, NV; and WWWX.
1. How did you become interested in radio?
As a teenager, I was the quintessential music/radio geek, reading magazines like Rolling Stone. Creem, Circus, taping songs off the radio, talking up intros, winning radio station prizes, etc. Radio was the only career path I ever imagined taking.
2. What stands out the most from your first job in radio?
Hmmm, the fact that I was board-oping a Sunday morning show on an AM station for a Portuguese gentleman who did the show in his native tongue and spoke limited English comes to mind!
3. What part of your job do you like best? Least?
Best: Interacting with listeners on the phones!
Least: Trying to do a live show with other people in the control room.
4. How would you describe the music and imaging on The Fox?
The music is pretty standard alternative rock, circa 2011. Like most stations on the panel, 90s music is important, but we are still able to get new artists on the air and play them in a decent current rotation. As far as imaging goes, God Bless John Frost and his Bytes.
5. What makes the station unique?
Not many markets over 130 have a station that plays artists like A Day To Remember, Young The Giant, and Edward Sharp & The Magnetic Zeroes. Plus, the Program Director smells nice.
6. What recent promotion has caused the most excitement with your listeners?
The legendary Ron Jeremy made a "Toys For Tats" appearance at a local gentlemen's club. Nine plus inches of snow fell that night. Coincidence?
7. What are you most proud of since joining WWWX?
My time management skills have improved tremendously. I have a lot on my plate, but I manage to get it all done in an 8-9 hour day...most of the time!
8. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
9. What stations do you like to keep track of?
KROQ (duh), The End in Seattle, 99X in Atlanta, and WLUM is about 90 minutes south of here and they do a great job.
10. What would surprise people most about you?
I shave my chest and stomach hair. Pretty metro, eh?
What are your hobbies?
Ballroom dancing, reading, exercising, and following Boston sports franchises
Last non-industry job?
First record ever purchased?
Aerosmith debut release.
Favorite band of all-time?