Bits and Pieces - January 20, 2012
January 20, 2012
President Obama made a campaign stop at Walt Disney World in Florida yesterday. There was Grumpy, Sleepy, Dopey, Doc...no, wait, that was the Republican debate.
RUSSELL BRAND is reportedly planning to release an amended version of his autobiography, A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up, that's going to dish the dirt on his brief marriage to KATY PERRY. No, Katy isn't happy about it and is said to be in panic mode and supposedly feels "betrayed" by her soon-to-be ex-husband. A source tells Us Weekly that Brand wants to tell his side of the breakup story, while another source tells them Katy will never forgive Brand if he releases the book and feels he's being so atrocious that it's like she never knew him. However, the mess isn't causing Katy to miss a beat onstage as she performed her first post-split concert last night in Indonesia.
AMERICAN IDOL'S debut saw its biggest ratings drop ever this week. Still, 21.9 million people tuned in and while that's down 24 percent from last year, they're still pretty healthy numbers.
- BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN unveiled his new Wrecking Ball album and announced that it'll be out March 6th. The album will feature 11 songs and a special edition will also be available with two bonus tracks. A tour is in the works and the album can be pre-ordered now on Amazon and iTunes. (Hear a few cuts here)
- LADY GAGA is teaming up with her mother Cynthia Germanotta to launch an anti-bullying organization called the Born This Way Foundation. Lady G will be on hand when the foundation is officially launched on February 29th during a gala at Harvard University's Sanders Theater.
- DOLLY PARTON is teaming up with Gaylord Entertainment to develop a 114-acre family entertainment zone next to the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center. Plans include a $50 million water and snow park. The park's opening is slated for summer 2014.
- ABC: Shark Tank, Primetime What Would You Do and 20/20 are new
- CBS: A Gifted Man, CSI: NY and Blue Bloods repeats
- Fox: Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe are new
- NBC: Chuck, Grimm and Dateline are new
- CW: Remodeled and Supernatural reruns
- ESPN: NBA hoops with the Lakers at Magic and Timberwolves at Clippers
The AFC and NFC championship games are Sunday. CBS starts with the AFC Championship as Baltimore travels to New England. Fox has the late game with the Giants at 49ers.
Airport security in Las Vegas was criticized this month for confiscating a traveler's frosted cupcake. Perhaps making up for it, TSA agents at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport allowed 65-year-old lawyer Judith Kenney to board an American Airlines flight with a loaded handgun. Actually, they didn't let her. After they detected her handgun inside a computer bag, Judith simply picked up the bag and left the checkpoint before the screening process was over. By the time they caught up with Judith her plane was heading for the runway. At least it was until the plane was ordered to return to the gate where Judith was arrested and the flight was delayed for over an hour while passengers were screened again. Judith was unaware she had the licensed handgun in her bag, but is aware of the charges she now faces.
1982: Ozzy Osbourne was hospitalized after he bit the head off a bat
astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin 82