Bits and Pieces - February 3, 2012
February 3, 2012
Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow yesterday. Unfortunately, that means there's six more weeks of American Idol auditions.
With her husband playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday, GISELE BUNDCHEN sent out an e-mail addressed to "sweet friends and family" asking them to pray for her husband! Of course, her husband is Patriots quarterback TOM BRADY and Giselle wrote: "I feel Tommy really needs our prayer, our support and love at this time. Sunday will be a really important day in my husband's life... and now they need us more than ever to send them positive energy so they can fulfill their dream of winning this super bowl. So I kindly ask all of you to join me on this positive chain and pray for him, so he can feel confident, healthy and strong. Envision him happy and fulfilled experiencing with his team a victory this Sunday." Giselle said she was surprised to see the e-mail go public, saying it was "a private note."
An unbelievable Internet rumor surfaced yesterday that SIMON COWELL had offered BEYONCé $100 million per year for five years to become a judge on THE X FACTOR. All involved are saying it's not true.
- FOO FIGHTER DAVE GROHL and comedian Dana Gould are developing a sitcom for the FX channel. The still-untitled show would revolve around a rock band on the verge of stardom and breaking up as they seek professional help.
- Today's presidential candidate ordered to stop using a song he didn't have permission to use is Mitt Romney. Mitt was using K'NAAN'S 'Wavin' Flag' and was asked to stop it. A Romney campaign spokesperson said they used the song under a blanket license they paid for, but that that they'll no longer play it.
- CARRIE UNDERWOOD says her next album will be out on May 1st. The album doesn't have a title yet, but the first single will be called Good Girl and it'll be out later this month.
- ABC: Shark Tank, Primetime What Would You Do and 20/20 are new
- CBS: A Gifted Man, CSI: NY and Blue Bloods are new
- Fox: Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe are new
- NBC: Who Do You Think You Are (Guest: Martin Sheen), Grimm and Dateline are new
- CW: Nikita and Supernatural are new
- ESPN: NBA hoops with the Knicks at Celtics and Lakers at Nuggets
Peyton Manning has reportedly been medically cleared to resume his NFL career. Manning has denied reports he plans to retire, but it remains to be seen whether the Indianapolis Colts keep him.
An unnamed Seattle woman allegedly stole a Chevy truck with a cherry picker. That led to the predictable high speed police chase with officers from several police departments in hot pursuit. The chase came to an equally predictable end when the woman crashed into a light pole and came to a stop. The woman then exited the truck laughing despite cuts to her face. She faces potential charges of auto theft, felony eluding, property damage and, yes, DUI.
1972: The first Winter Olympics in Asia opened at Sapporo, Japan
actress Blythe Danner (Meet The Fockers, Mr. & Mrs. Bridge, Huff) 69