35 Things Everyone Should Know About Social And Radio
February 16, 2016
February 14th, 2016, marked the five year anniversary of "Merge" here on All Access.
In 2010, All Access President/Publisher, Joel Denver, had the foresight to know a column on social for radio and records would be something of value. When Joel approached me, I hesitated to write on social as it wasn't something decision makers were taking seriously.
But - after a few months, I went for it, and we published the very first piece for Merge in 2011.
And through the support of All Access (and my former boss, Jacobs Media/President, Fred Jacobs, who spent excruciating hours editing me until I learned how to be a better writer), I have come to love writing these short pieces on why social matters to radio.
It's fulfilling to share insight, and to showcase the inventive and memorable moments our industry creates in this space.
And as I look back on five years of Merge headlines, it dawned on me - the fundamentals I have passed along aren't just about social media; they apply to life, too.
So I condensed the 200+ pieces written in the past five years into something you can print out and post everywhere.
35 Things Everyone Should Know About Social (so far).
Here's what I would tell anyone:
- Don't Stare At The Finish Line Without Starting The Race
- Size Doesn't Matter, It's The Caring That Counts
- Loose Tweets Sink Fleets
- Choose Words Wisely
- Don't Feed The Trolls
- Common Sense Isn't Always Common Practice
- Never Let Fans Go Thirsty
- The Amount Of Followers Doesn't Equate To Brand Impact
- Adult Supervision (is often) Required
- Strengthen The Assets You "Own" (On-Air, Web, etc...) With The Assets You "Rent" (Facebook, Twitter, etc...)
- Radio Fans Are Connecting With Or Without You
- We're Walking Around With The Internet In Our Pants
- Never Underestimate The Power Of The Personal Touch
- It's Not The Mistake - It's How We Behave In Recovery
- People Don't Want To Be Sold - They Want To Feel Welcomed
- No Matter How Good You Are, You Can't Coach Yourself
- Move People To Move Meters
- Fear Is The One Thing That Can Erode Your Brand The Fastest
- Social Is A Way Of Thinking, Not A Trick
- If You're Doing Your Job The Same Way You Were A Year Ago, You're Already Behind
- Be Flawsome
- Harness The Ego
- Don't Be A Like-Baiter
- Engagement Is About Reciprocation
- It Didn't Happen Unless There's A Selfie
- We Teach People How To Treat Us
- Even In The Social Space, You Reap What You Sow
- The World Is Unmoved By How Great Your Prize Wheel Is
- Showing Up Every Day Is More Important Than The 'Lightning Strike'
- Never Miss An Opportunity To Be Good To People
- Mediocre Social Posts Are As Brand Erosive As Bad On-Air Breaks
- We Operate In The Era of Earn
- Social Is Opportunity To Go Beyond The Ordinary & Create Memorable Moments
- Every Person Counts
- Radio's Relevancy Is In Your Hands
What would you add to this list? Tweet me and I'll make sure to add it to a future list.
Thank you for tweeting or posting the pieces that resonate with you. The greatest gift you give writers is sharing their work. It means a lot.
Here's to another five years. Should be fun to see where social goes.
Reach out to me anytime on Twitter @lorilewis.
Please enjoy MERGE archives here.