Mark Ramsey: Is Radio Screwed Because Of The Connected Dashboard?
July 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM (PT)
RAMSEY MEDIA Pres. MARK RAMSEY notes on his latest blog, "last week, GOOGLE announced ANDROID AUTO, which -- like APPLE’s CARPLAY -- aims to fully fulfill the promise of the so-called connected car," and asks, "so what does this mean for radio?"
A number of things says RAMSEY, including:
- Automakers are clueless when it comes to their own infotainment systems.
- A car connected to CARPLAY or ANDROID AUTO will not be a car connected to terrestrial radio
- But there’s stuff on the radio that is only on the radio? What about the exclusive content?
- But radio is on the new dashboard too -- via the platforms of TUNEIN or iHEARTRADIO or even our own proprietary apps
- Traditional radio will be harder than ever to use
- Traditional NIELSEN RADIO measurement will be less and less relevant
- Habits may change quicker than you think, but a new car is not an iPAD
- The diminishing importance of FM
- The big brands on the new auto dashboard will sound more and more like the best of “radio”
- And what about radio? It is in the midst of an innovation crisis
RAMSEY concludes, "so here’s the bottom line... Radio is not screwed because of the new auto dashboard, but it could be." Read the full post here.