RTNA Of Southern California Hands Out Golden Mike Awards
January 26, 2015 at 4:48 AM (PT)
The RADIO AND TELEVISION NEWS ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA handed out its 65th annual GOLDEN MIKE AWARDS on SATURDAY night (1/24).
Radio awards were handed out to the following:
- Best News Broadcast Over 15 Minutes: Division A: CBS RADIO News KNX-A/LOS ANGELES, "KNX Morning News"; Division B: CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE Triple A KCSN/NORTHRIDGE, "The Evening Update."
- Best News Broadcast Under 15 Minutes: Division A: iHEARTMEDIA News-Talk KFI-A/LOS ANGELES, "6 O'Clock News on KFI"; Division B: CALIFORNIA LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY News-Talk KCLU-A-F/VENTURA-SANTA BARBARA, "KCLU 7 AM News with JIM RONDEAU."
- Best Traffic Report: Division A: KNX, "KNX Traffic at 6:15"
- Best Individual Writing: Division B: GLOBAL JAZZ Jazz KKJZ (KJAZZ 88.1)/LONG BEACH, "Hi-Definition News Feature: 15 Seconds of Confusion"
- Best Sports Reporting: Division A: KNX, "Watts Bears"; Division B, KCLU, ""No Pro Football In LA? No Problem! VENTURA COUNTY has COWBOYS, RAIDERS"
- Best "Spot" News Reporting: Division A: KNX, "The Great UCLA Flood of 2014"
- Best "Live" Coverage of a News Story: Division A: KNX, "LAX Shooting"
- Best News Public Affairs Program: Division A: KNX, "Ask The Mayor"; Division B: LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM Sports KLAA-A/ORANGE-LOS ANGELES, "Community Cares"
- Best News Reporting: Division A: KNX, "Nanny Nightmare"; Division B: KCLU, "Dangerous Pipelines? Fear On Campus"
- Best Hard News Series Reporting: KFI, "US Marine Trial In MEXICO"
- Best Feature News Series Reporting: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RADIO News-Talk KPCC/PASADENA-LOS ANGELES, "The NORTHRIDGE Earthquake: 20 Years Later"
- Best Investigative Reporting: Division A: KFI, "Mold School"; Division B: VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO News-Talk-Classical KVPR/FRESNO, "One Year after the Rim Fire, Locals Share Frustration over Prosecutor's Silence"
- Best Serious Feature Reporting, One Minute Or Longer: KPCC, "FRIDAY Nights At DCFS"
- Best Serious Feature Reporting, Shorter Than One Minute: KFI, "Operation Boo 2013"
- Best Light Feature Reporting, One Minute or Longer: KVPR, "Teatro Azteca: Dreaming Up Spanish Language Theater In FRESNO"
- Best Light Feature Reporting, Shorter than One Minute: KFI, "VALENTINE'S DAY Flower Inspection"
- Best News Special: Division A: KFI, "Breaking Down the Border Crisis"
- Best Entertainment Reporting: Division B, KCLU, "The Fifth Beatle"
- Best Business And Consumer Reporting: Division A, KPCC, "The Price of Pain"; Division B, KVPR, "GOOGLE's Self-Driving Car and Others Use MERCED as a Landing Pad"
- Best Government And Political Reporting: Division A, KPCC, "The City of BELL Keeps Paying A 'RIZZO Tax' Long after Corrupt Officials Go to Prison"
- Best Medical And Science Reporting: Division A: KPCC, "Geologist's Dream Unearthed by the 405 Construction"; Division B, POMONA COLLEGE Variety KSBC/CLAREMONT, CA, "How to e-Save a Life"
- Best Use of Sound: Division A, KPCC, "Everything You Didn't Know About Bats in LOS ANGELES"; Division B, KCLU, "Musical Visionary"
- Best Internet News Reporting: Division A, KFI, "Operation Boo 2013"
The Broadcast Legend Award was awarded to UNIVISION "NOTICIERO UNIVISION" co-anchor MARIA ELENA SALINAS, the Lifetime Achievement Award went to LOS ANGELES KINGS television voice BOB MILLER, and the Freedom of Information Award went to longtime ASSOCIATED PRESS correspondent LINDA DEUTSCH.
On KFI's wins, reporter STEVE GREGORY said, "It’s wonderful to be recognized like this from the RTNA and I’m especially proud of my partnership with OSWALDO BORRAEZ from UNIVISION, and our 3 hour special report on the US and MEXICO border.”
KFI PD ROBIN BERTOLUCCI said, “We have the best news team here at KFI, these folks rock! And SHANNON FARREN and STEVE (GREGORY) are prime examples of the caliber of talent that makes us so proud!”
LOS ANGELES Mayor ERIC GARCETTI noted the win for KNX's "Ask the Mayor," saying, "I believe it's vitally important for elected officials to communicate directly with the people they work for, and that's what 'Ask the Mayor' is all about. This award is a testament to the professionalism and commitment to public service of the 'Ask the Mayor' team and KNX,. My heartiest thanks and congratulations go out to CHARLES, TOM, JONATHAN, PAIGE and LOGAN."