Dr. Dre Tells The New York Times He's Sorry For Past Abuse Of Women
August 24, 2015 at 4:19 AM (PT)
DR. DRE spent the weekend on damage control after critics took exception to the lack of transparency regarding his past record of abusing women was noticably absent in his hit movie "Straight Outta Compton.”
THE NEW YORK TIMES reports numerous parties complained that the movie, "which was co-produced by DR. DRE, glosses over N.W.A.’s record of misogyny and ignores DR. DRE’s history of physically abusing women. In a sign that the uproar was threatening not only his reputation but also his business dealings, DR. DRE, who has previously spoken dismissively or vaguely about the decades-old episodes, confronted them on FRIDAY in a statement to The NEW YORK TIMES. While he did not address each allegation individually, he said, 'Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I’ve been married for 19 years and every day I’m working to be a better man for my family, seeking
DRE, who is now referred to the "first hip-hop billionaire," is now a consultant to APPLE, after selling his company BEATS to the computer and music giant for $3 Billion last year.
APPLE weighed in, issuing a statement, “DRE has apologized for the mistakes he’s made in the past and he’s said that he’s not the same person that he was 25 years ago. We believe his sincerity and after working with him for a year and a half, we have every reason to believe that he has changed.”