Adele Continues To Stuff Consumers' Gift Bags ... 3 Million In Sight
November 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM (PT)
That happy THANKSGIVING holiday depicted by SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, with families seated around the table happily singing along to ADELE's tear-jerker "Hello" is no lie.
The world-class crooner's album continues to sell, well, like turkeys on THANKSGIVING, with NIELSEN SOUNDSCAN reporting sales of 2.8 million through yesterday, a whopping 1.45 of which are digital albums, yet another record that ADELE is toppling like BARRY BONDS on steroids.
ADELE's download total now dwarfs that of LADY GAGA's "Born This Way," the previous title holder with 662,000 in its first week in MAY, 2011, according to NIELSEN. The digital total represents 54% of her total unit sales, with the remaining 46% on physical formats.
MUSIC BUSINESS WORLDWIDE reports "25" has sold 27,000 every hour, 450 every minute and almost eight every second.
In order to hit 3 million, "25' must sell another 440,000 by the end THURSDAY, which means it has to reverse its 35% daily decline. According to NIELSEN, ADELE sold 170k YESTERDAY, and is on target for another 110k today, meaning she'll have to sell 160k on THANKSGIVING day to hit 3 million. If she drops by 35% tomorrow -- and folks should be just running from their dinner table to the stores -- whe will hit 72,000 on its final chart day, leaving her at 2.91 million, a mere 90,000 from the mark.