Award Winners Unveiled At The 3rd Annual 'International Music Industry Awards' At Musexpo L.A. In Partnership With Shazam
Kevin Weatherly Honored As The 2016 'International Music Person Of The Year'
April 25, 2016 at 3:55 AM (PT)
The 3rd annual “INTERNATIONAL MUSIC INDUSTRY AWARDS,” which were presented in partnership with SHAZAM, took place at the 12th annual global music industry gathering MUSEXPO on APRIL 20th at the HOLLYWOOD ROOSEVELT HOTEL in LOS ANGELES.
During the course of many months, over 9,000 global music industry citizens cast votes for their nominations for the most inspiring, visionary and best in class for various sectors of the international music industry. The Top 4 nominations from each category were selected, and a second round of votes from the worldwide music business determined the awards nominee from each category.
The selected awards winner from each category were announced during the “International Music Industry Awards” gala dinner presented in partnership with SHAZAM in the BLOSSOM BALLROOM at the HOLLYWOOD ROOSEVELT HOTEL where the first ever ACADEMY AWARDS were held back in 1929.
MUSEXPO 2016 presented its coveted "International Music Person of the Year" award last week to CBS RADIO SVP/Programming and Alternative KROQ, Adult Hits KCBS and Top 40 KAMP (AMP RADIO)/LOS ANGELES PD KEVIN WEATHERLY. The award seeks to recognize the vision, inspiration and ingenuity of an individual who has helped evolve the global music and related businesses in a profound and inspiring manner.
The award recipients for each category for the 3rd annual “International Music Industry Awards” included:
- MUSIC INDUSTRY EXECUTIVE: JODY GERSON – Chairman/CEO, UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING GROUP
- A&R EXECUTIVE: KORDA MARSHALL – SVP, BMG & Founder, INFECTIOUS RECORDS (U.K.)
- TALENT MANAGER: SCOOTER BRAUN – Founder, SB PROJECTS
- BOOKING AGENT: CLOTAIRE BUCHE – Founder, JUNZI ARTS (FRANCE)
- FESTIVAL PROMOTER: FOLKERT KOOPMANS - Founder/President, FKP SCORPIO (GERMANY)
- MUSIC SUPERVISOR: MIKE KNOBLOCH – Pres./Film Music & Publishing, UNIVERSAL PICTURES
- MUSIC PUBLISHER: JENS-MARKUS WEGENER – Managing Director, IMAGEM MUSIC PUBLISHING (GERMANY)
- MUSIC ATTORNEY: JOSH BINDER - Partner, DAVIS SHAPIRO & LEWIT, LLP (U.S.A.)
- RADIO STATION: TRIPLE J (AUSTRALIA)
- PERFORMANCE RIGHTS ORGANIZATION: PRS FOR MUSIC
- DIGITAL COMPANY OR DIGITAL EXECUTIVE: SPOTIFY
- GLOBAL BRAND MUSIC INTEGRATION: NIKE
- NEW EMERGING INTERNATIONAL ARTIST: SMITH & THELL (SWEDEN)
Numerous executives made acceptance speeches during the awards event. UMPG Chairman/CEO JODY GERSON sent a message stating, “I consider it the highest honor to be recognized by my peers in the business and above all I consider it my responsibility to not only identify, develop and support talent but as important to do the same for music executives. Our industry will only grow if we grow not only the talent pool but also our executive pool. I do not take that responsibility lightly.”
TRIPLE J RADIO’s programming team sent a live video message with over 10,000 fans at one of its events erupting into applause as an announcement was made about their award.
Swedish independent act SMITH & THELL received the award for “New Int’l Emerging Artist,” and performed to the couple of hundred executives from the U.S. and around the world that were in attendance at the event.
MUSEXPO Pres./Founder SAT BISLA stated, “We’d like to congratulate all of the award winners, as well as, all those who were also nominated and recognized by their global peers for their incredible contributions to their respective areas of the music eco-system. We all have a responsibility to mentor, inspire and evolve all areas of the global music business and continue to champion the musical talent that drives the soundtrack to billions of lives around the world. We sincerely thank SHAZAM for being a key platform to support and evolve our industry and presenting this year’s awards at MUSEXPO.”
MUSEXPO EUROPE 2016 will be held in LONDON, ENGLAND from SEPTEMBER 18–20 at THE MILLENNIUM HOTEL in cooperation with the leading U.K. and EUROPEAN music industry publication MUSIC WEEK.