Apple's Latest Show-And-Tell
September 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM (PT)
It was "show-and-tell" time again for APPLE, as STEVE JOBS and company showed off its latest bag of goodies at its annual SEPTEMBER showcase, entitled "Let’s Rock." Held earlier TODAY (9/9) at the YERBA BUENA CENTER FOR THE ARTS in SAN FRANCISCO, JOBS and crew showed off redesigned iPODS, new software and made other announcements, as media from tech website ENGADGET to the NY TIMES live-blogged through the entire event.
A sampling of the offerings:
* iTUNES will now be selling high-definition TV shows for $2.99, a dollar more than standard definition. NBC is back in the fold after a year in exile. Series such as "THE OFFICE," "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" and "HEROES" will be available in both standard and high-def.
* The new version 8 of iTUNES boasts a new feature, "Genius," that automatically creates playlists comprised of similar songs in your library. The Genius Sidebar also recommends similar songs you can buy from the iTunes store.
* To keep sales of iPODS robust -- as over 160 million has been sold to date -- the 80-gigabyte iPOD CLASSIC is being upgraded to 120 gigabytes at the same cost of $249. The NANO has been physically altered; It's back in its original rectangular "stick" shape, with curved glass. It's also the thinnest iPOD ever. It's still $149.
* The NANO also has the same accelerometer that's the iPHONE, which allows users to turn the device on its side to see photos and video in landscape mode. The new line now comes in a eight colors. The 8-gigabyte model still goes for $149, while a new 16-gigabyte model will go for $199.
* Quirky new feature of the show: "Shake to Shuffle" -- you shake the NANO and it automatically plays a different song.
* The new iPOD TOUCH is leaner with built-in "causal listening" software and volume controls. Videogames can be played by tilting and shifting the iPOD, instead of pressing buttons. Prices: 8-gigabyte TOUCHES for $229; 16-gigabytes for $299; and 32-gigabytes for $399.
* New software revisions on the 3G iPHONE will provide longer battery life, faster iTUNES backups and, fewer dropped calls.