Motel 6 Spot Takes Top Radio-Mercury Award
June 18, 2009 at 5:23 AM (PT)
A spot by THE RICHARDS GROUP for MOTEL 6, "DVD," won the $100,000 grand prize in the RADIO-MERCURY AWARDS WEDNESDAY in NEW YORK. This year's awards produced controversy when the RADIO ADVERTISING BUREAU decided not to give awards in the Station-Produced, Student-Produced, PSA and Political categories.
Other Winners Include
* Marketer of the Year: MCDONALD'S
* $10,000 Integrated Radio Campaign Winner; JWT NY for "Welcome Abroad," JETBLUE
* $5,000 Spanish Language Winner: GRUPO GALLEGOS for "Epic," COMCAST
* $2,500 Agency/Production Winners: BBDO NEW YORK for "Big Production," FEDEX; Y&R NEW YORK for "Henry," OFFICE DEPOT
* $5,000 Agency/Production Winner: DDB CHICAGO for "Mr. Championship Ring Designer," ANHEUSER-BUSCH
The RAB also announced a new workshop for radio stations with the VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY BRANDCENTER and is doubling the prizes for the Radio-Produced Award to $10,000, the Student-Produced award to $5,000 and the PSA Award to $5,000.
“We are placing a significant focus on working with the creative leaders who move the advertising industry to fuel conversation and implement initiatives that will make radio advertising more creative, more interesting and more effective,” said RAB Pres./CEO JEFF HALEY. “The best part is that the creative leaders we’re engaging with are responding well. They feel the medium provides great opportunities and they want the Radio industry to challenge advertisers to do their best.”