PPM Analysis: N.Y., L.A., Chicago, The Bay and Dallas
September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM (PT)
RADIOCRUNCH principals KEVIN MCCABE and ANTHONY ACAMPORA are back with a look inside PPM results from AUGUST. They have redesigned their reports to feature easy-to-read bullet points on each market. We start today with NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES, CHICAGO, SAN FRANCISCO and DALLAS.
NEW YORK: HOT 97 Ends Z100's 18-34 Reign; CLEAR CHANNEL Dominates 25-54
* EMMIS Rhythmic WQHT (HOT 97) beat CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WHTZ (Z100) among adults 18-34 for the first time since PPM started that Z100 hasn't been #1 with young adults.
* CLEAR CHANNEL still controlled 25-54 with Classic Rock WAXQ (Q104.3) #1, AC WLTW #2, Z100 #4, and Rhythmic AC WKTU #5
* CBS Classic Hits WCBS-FM continued to grow -- now ranking 3rd 25-54 (it was 10th in MARCH).
* CBS Top 40 WXRK (92.3 NOW-FM) was up for a fourth month in a row, but Z100 still had nearly a 2-1 lead share-wise 18-34 and 18-49.
* CITADEL Hot AC WPLJ remained a steady performer -- 7th 25-54 and 8th 18-49
* CBS AC WWFS (FRESH) was still way behind frontrunner WLTW. WWFS has fallen to 15th 25-54 (with WLTW #2)
LOS ANGELES; Power Young Adult Champ; AMP beats KIIS 18-34
* EMMIS won the 18-34 battle here, too, with Top 40/Rhythmic KPWR (POWER 106) taking the top spot. This was the first time since the launch of PPM that KIIS was beaten.
* For the first time, CBS Top 40 KAMP topped CLEAR CHANNEL rival KIIS in the 18-34 cell, as KIIS dropped to 3rd place. KIIS was the market leader, however, with adults 18-49.
* CBS also put a little space in the Alternative battle, with KROQ widening its lead across the board against CLEAR CHANNEL's KYSR (98-7).
* A huge month for CBS Adult Hits KCBS-FM (JACK-FM), which took the spot 25-54 and was a solid #2 18-49. JACK has seen tremendous growth since the demise of EMMIS '80s KMVN in April.
* Also seeing growth since KMVN's exit was CLEAR CHANNEL Rhythmic AC KHHT (HOT 92.3). HOT made musical adjustments post-KMVN and they've paid off, as the station had its highest 25-54 PPM results to date.
* CLEAR CHANNEL still had three of the top four 25-54 outlets with KIIS 2nd, while Hot AC KBIG and AC KOST tied for 3rd.
* While CLEAR CHANNEL Talk KFI was able to claim the #1 6+ trophy, the station only ranked 14th 25-54, showing that its audience is still heavily out of the money demos.
* After seven straight up months in share, BONNEVILLE Triple A KSWD (THE SOUND) slid back a tick and currently ranked 22nd 25-54.
* The addition of two Spanish-language stations in LOS ANGELES in 2009 seemed to be eroding shares of the existing stations. GRUPO RADIO CENTRO Spanish Contemporary KXOS (EXITOS) posted a jump from 23rd to 19th 25-54.
* This seemed to have impacted UNIVISION Spanish Adult Hits KRCD (RECUREDO). KRCD was a steady top-5/top-10 performer prior to the EXITOS launch and fell to 17th 25-54 in AUGUST.
* With KAMP doing well and having a large Hispanic audience, SBS Latin Urban KXOL (LATINO) has taken a huge hit since AMP's sign-on. KXOL was between 6th and 8th last year and sat at 14th 18-34 currently.
CHICAGO: BONNEVILLE Outlets Strong; MEGA Gains Continue; Kiss 18-34 Champ
* Another stellar month for BONNEVILLE Hot AC WTMX (THE MIX), which grabbed the #1 slot 18-49 and 25-54. It also ranked 2nd with Adults 18-34.
* We have a new 18-34 champ and that is CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WKSC, knocking UNIVISION Regional Mexican WOJO down to 3rd.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Spanish Contemporary WNUA (MEGA 95.5) remained off to a strong start. MEGA soared to #4 18-34, and rose from 18th to 13th 18-49. The 18-49 doubled from the previous Smooth AC format.
* The WINDY CITY Urban battle remained tight with CLEAR CHANNEL's WGCI 7th 18-34, just ahead of CRAWFORD'S WPWX. WGCI did have a stronger lead with 18-49, where they ranked 10th to WPWX's 18th place.
* Country continued to be a strong performer in CHICAGO with CBS outlet WUSN (US 99) ranked 2nd 25-54.
* A best-ever-yet 4th place 25-54 PPM showing for CBS Triple A WXRT, which surged from 9th. It also put WXRT ahead of BONNEVILLE Classic Rock WDRV (THE DRIVE), which was still a solid 5th.
* BONNEVILLE '80s-based WILV continued to wreak havoc for a number of competitors (not unlike KMVN did in LOS ANGELES). WILV was 10th 25-54, while CBS Adult Hits WJMK (JACK-FM) dropped all the way to 16th. WILV also beat the markets two ACs: CLEAR CHANNEL's WLIT (11th) and CBS's WCFS (FRESH), which was 21st 25-54.
* EMMIS Alternative WKQX (Q101) returned to the top 10 18-34, with its highest share in the cell since OCTOBER 2008.
SAN FRANCISCO: KGO Wins 12+; 'THE BAND' Overtakes KFOG; MOVIN' On Up
* While CITADEL Talk KGO was the dominant 12+ champ, it was outside of the top 10 25-54. This was not unlike CLEAR CHANNEL's KFI was in LOS ANGELES. KGO ranked 15th in the important 25-54 cell.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Classic Hits/Rock-hybrid KKSF (THE BAND) had its best month yet, rising from 13th to 8th 25-54, and doubling the shares of the prior Smooth AC format. Most notable was that this seemed to be impacting CUMULUS Triple A KFOG. The latter was #2 prior to KKSF's launch and KFOG now ranked 12th, falling behind THE BAND.
* ENTERCOM AC KOIT was the 25-54 champion for a fourth straight month.
* The Top 40 battle was heating up here, too, as CBS Top 40 KMVQ (MOVIN' 99-7) rose from 5th to 4th and gained nearly a share. It got them much closer to CLEAR CHANNEL Rhythmic KYLD, which remained in 3rd place, but was off in share for a fourth straight month.
* With that said, KYLD did see growth 18-49 (5th to 2nd) and 25-54 (13th to 6th) and KYLD beat KMEL for the first time ever 18-49.
* Also falling dramatically was CLEAR CHANNEL Urban KMEL, which had seen a 37% drop in share since MAY in the 18-34 cell.
* Even with KFOG's slide, CUMULUS was still strong in the BAY AREA as Sports KNBR (#3) and Rock KSAN (#5) were still inside the top 5 25-54.
* The 25-54 Hot AC race between CLEAR CHANNEL's KIOI (#9 to #8) and CBS's KLLC (17th to 11th) remained tight.
* After a pair of really strong months, ENTERCOM Country KBWF dropped from 5th to 15th 25-54.
* While sister Rhythmic AC KHHT did well, CLEAR CHANNEL's KISQ -- which was as high 7th in the Holiday book -- was down to 19th 25-54 in AUGUST.
Dallas: WOLF Howls Loud; KLUV Now Top 3; K104 Takes 18-34 Crown
* The big story in the METROPLEX is that of CUMULUS Country KPLX (THE WOLF). The station was #1 25-54 by a big margin, while also tying for 1st 18-49 and ranking 2nd 18-34. CITADEL Country rival KSCS was 4th, but KPLX beat it in share by 55%.
* The CUMULUS launch of Top 40 KLIF makes sense when you look at how KPLX is competing with CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 KHKS in a number of demos. KHKS was 3rd 18-34, tied for 1st 18-49, and 2nd 25-54. Any share KLIF pulls from KHKS can solidify top rankings for KPLX.
* CBS Classic Hits KLUV was up for a fifth straight month and moved into 3rd place 25-54 (it was 13th in April).
* KLUV's success was coming at the same time as AC sister KVIL was on a slide. The latter was 3rd in April and now ranked 13th.
* Service Urban KKDA-FM (K104) was #1 18-34 for the first time in PPM, while ranking 3rd 18-49, and 8th 25-54.
* UNIVISION Spanish Adult Hits KLNO (RECUERDO) remained the Spanish-language leader, ranking 5th 25-54 and 7th 18-49.