Exclusive Oct. PPM Analysis: New York, Los Angeles
November 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM (PT)
RADIOCRUNCH principals KEVIN MCCABE and ANTHONY ACAMPORA start their look inside the OCTOBER PPM results. Today, we see NEW YORK and LOS ANGELES.
NEW YORK: CLEAR CHANNEL Cluster Stays Dominant
* CLEAR CHANNEL had some great stories from their cluster.
* Top 40 WHTZ (Z100) went back to first place 18-34 and 18-49.
* AC WLTW was 1st 25-54.
* The very strong position that is WKTU's Rhythmic AC format ranked top 5 in all three demos.
* WAXQ ranked #2 25-54 and is 3rd 18-49.
* WWPR remained a solid 3rd 18-34.
* Over at CBS, Classic Hits WCBS-F held steady in 3rd 25-54, remaining one of the formats top performers.
* Sports WFAN and AC WWFS (FRESH) tied for 10th 25-54 -- FRESH actually improving its position 25-54 from 14th in SEPTEMBER.
* Top 40 WXRK (92-3 NOW-FM) saw growth in its target 18-34 in the OCTOBER PPM. NOW moved to 7th -- up from 9th and saw a bump in share 18-34.
* EMMIS Rhythmic WQHT slipped to 2nd in OCTOBER but edged out Urban competitor WWPR in the demo. WQHT remained top 5 18-49 as a consistent performer
* Triple A WRXP tied for 15th 18-49 and 16th 25-54 -- the station was up a strong 64% in share year-to-year.
* Urban AC WRKS landed 6th place 25-54 in OCTOBER -- beating rival Inner City Urban WBLS albeit only slightly. WBLS was 7th 25-54.
Los Angeles: KIIS Scores Clean Sweep; POWER 106, JACK Strong
* CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 KIIS returned to the #1 position among all three key adult demos: 25-54, 18-49 and 18-34 in OCTOBER. It was the first time KIIS had been #1 in all three since JUNE.
* EMMIS Rhythmic KPWR (POWER 106) remainws a strong #2 in both the 18-49 and 18-34 cells.
* CBS sees Adult Hits KCBS-F (JACK-FM) continued to be a solid #2 25-54 and #3 18-49.
* CLEAR CHANNEL owns three of the top five with KIIS at #1, AC KOST at #3 and Hot AC KBIG (MY-FM) at #5. Rhythmic AC KHHT (HOT 92.3), which has benefited since a musical adjustment and the demise of the former KMVN, rose to a new PPM rank high of 7th in OCTOBER.
* CBS Classic Hits KRTH was up for a fourth straight month and ranked 8th 25-54 in OCTOBER.
* CBS Top 40 KAMP was 4th 18-34 and 18-49, and 10th 25-54.
* CBS Alternative KROQ has been trending upward 18-34, but the upper end has slid a bit. KROQ was 3rd 18-34 in OCTOBER, its best rank since FEBRUARY. However, they slid out of the top 10 25-54 for the first time in PPM. CLEAR CHANNEL format rival KYSR was 15th 25-54.
* SBS Regional Mexican KLAX (LA RAZA) remained the dominant performer in the format, ranking 5th 18-49 and 4th 25-54. That topped two rivals -- LIBERMAN's KBUE was 14th 18-49 and 25-54, while UNIVISION's KSCA was 15th 18-49 and 13th 25-54.
* CITADEL Classic Rock KLOS, which had been just below the top 10 25-54 most of the year, has had two good months in a row. It ranked 3rd in SEPTEMBER was still a solid 6th in OCTOBER.
* GROUPO RADIO CENTRO Spanish Contemporary KXOS made it competitive with two UNIVISION competitors. Heritage Spanish Contemporary KLVE was 12th 25-54, while Spanish Adult Hits KRCD slid to 17th, with KXOS ahead for the first time.