Exclusive PPM Analysis: Chicago, S.F. And Philly
November 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM (PT)
RADIOCRUNCH principals KEVIN MCCABE and ANTHONY ACAMPORA start their look inside the OCTOBER PPM results. Today, we see THE WINDY CITY, THE CITY BY THE BAY and the home of the NATIONAL LEAGUE Champions.
Chicago: WOJO, MIX, DRIVE, V103 Share Top Honors
* A quartet of stations claimed demo wins in OCTOBER.
* BONNEVILLE Hot AC WTMX (THE MIX) took the 18-49 crown, while sister Classic Rock WDRV (THE DRIVE) and WTMX tied for the top spot 25-54 with CLEAR CHANNEL Urban AC WVAZ (V103).
* The top of the 25-54 rankers was very compressed with the three aforementioned stations tied for #1. Meanwhile, CBS Country WUSN (US99) slipped to 4th -- but was only two-tenths out of first place.
* UNIVISION Regional Mexican WOJO had a solid book, with a #1 ranking 18-34, a 2nd place showing 18-49 and was 5th 25-54.
* Shares were also compressed 18-49 with CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WKSC, US99 and WDRV tied for 3rd.
* CBS had four of the top-10 stations 25-54 in the WINDY CITY in OCTOBER. A strong book for Adult Hits WJMK (JACK-FM), which went from 14th to 8th 18-49 and 15th to 10th 25-54. Triple A WXRT was 6th and News WBBM-A was 7th.
* BONNEVILLE '80s-based AC ranked 9th, putting it slightly ahead of CLEAR CHANNEL AC WLIT (which tied for 11th).
* There was a definitely some movement with the two EMMIS Rock stations. A big month for EMMIS Alternative WKQX (Q101), which vaulted into 5th place 18-34, and jumped from 19th to 12th 18-49. Rock WLUP slid from 8th to 17th 25-54.
* CITADEL Classic Hits WLS-F slid back to 14th place 25-54
* CLEAR CHANNEL Urban WGCI continued its uptick, rising to 5th 18-34 and 6th 18-49.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WKSC ranked 2nd 18-34 and tied for 3rd 18-49, placing it ahead of CBS Rhythmic WBBM-F (B96) which still ranked a solid 4th 18-34 and 9th 18-49.
San Francisco: KSOL, KCBS-AM/KFRC-FM Share Market Demo Crowns
* UNIVISION Regional Mexican KSOL topped the marketplace in OCTOBER 18-34 while CBS News combo KCBS-A/KFRC-F was the #1 station 25-54 for the first time in PPM. The two tied for the #1 spot 18-49.
* A huge jump for CLEAR CHANNEL Hot AC KIOI (STAR 101.3), which surged from 10th to 2nd 25-54, placing it ahead of ENTERCOM AC KOIT, which dipped to 3rd place. CBS Hot AC KLLC was 11th 25-54.
* Following the demise of Smooth Jazz KKSF, INNER CITY Urban AC KBLX had seen its best month yet -- surging all the way to 5th 25-54 in OCTOBER.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Urban KMEL was 2nd 18-34 and 4th 18-49, while Rhythmic sister KYLD (WILD 94-9) was 3rd 18-34 and 18-49.
* CBS Top 40 KMVQ made some strong inroads in the older demos. KMVQ placed top 10 25-54 for the first time in 9th place (besting both KMEL and KYLD). KMVQ was also a strong 6th 18-49, tying for its best rank in PPM.
* After getting as high as 6th place in SEPTEMBER, CLEAR CHANNEL Classic Rock KKSF (THE BAND) dipped to 16th place in OCTOBER. Also off was CUMULUS Rock competitor KSAN (THE BONE), which dipped from 6th to 11th.
* ENTERCOM Country KBWF, which got as high as 5th place in JULY, dropped to 21st in OCTOBER with 25-54.
Philadelphia: WRFF, WOGL Share Leadership In Philly; WMMR Strong
* CLEAR CHANNEL Alternative WRFF took the top spot 18-34 and 18-49 for a 4th straight month, making it one of the format's shining stars. WRFF also tied for 5th 25-54.
* For the second time in four months, CBS Classic Hits WOGL took the #1 position 25-54. It unseated perennial leader WEAZ INC. AC WBEB (B101). Watch for B101 to retake the crown as the holidays approach.
* There was a lot of Sports activity in OCTOBER in PHILADELPHIA ... and CBS Sports WIP was a beneficiary, rising to 5th place 25-54 -- its best PPM showing to date.
* EAGLES flagship WYSP got a bump, too, moving inside the top 10 25-54. The CBS Classic Rock station moved closer to GREATER MEDIA rival WMGK, which dipped from 3rd to 7th.
* The youth adult in battle remained very tight 18-34. CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WIOQ (Q102) was 3rd, followed by BEASLEY Rhythmic WRDW (WIRED) in 4th, RADIO ONE Urban WPHI 5th, and CLEAR CHANNEL Urban WUSL (POWER 99) in 6th.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Urban AC WDAS-F remained dominant versus RADIO ONE rival WRNB, ranking 3rd 25-54 to WRNB's 15th place.
* GREATER MEDIA had three of the top 10 25-54 with Rock WMMR 4th, WMGK 7th, and Adult Hits WBEN 9th. WMMR was a solid perfomer across all cells, ranking 2nd 18-49 and 18-34 as well.