Arbitron Redefines Diary Metro Surveys
New Orleans A Top 50 Market Again, Portland ME Jumps Almost 80 Markets
June 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM (PT)
ARBITRON, INC. has released a list of ten markets affected by its updated criterion for redefining metro survey areas in its diary markets. NEW ORLEANS was the largest market affected, adding additional counties to move from market rank #52 to #45.
PORTLAND, ME makes the biggest jump, adding 4 counties to move the metro from #168 to #89.
The changes, in alphabetical order are:
* ALBANY, GA, which was DOUGHERTY and LEE, GA as market #262, adds BAKER, CALHOUN, TERRELL and WORTH, GA to become market #239.
* AMARILLO, TX, which was POTTER and RANDALL, TX as market #193, adds ARMSTRONG, CARSON, HUTCHINSON, MOORE and OLDHAM, TX to become market #168.
* BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, TX, which was BRAZOS, TX as market #233, adds BURLESON and ROBERTSON, TX to become market #206.
* CORPUS CHRISTI, TX, which was NUECES and SAN PATRICIO, TX as market #137, adds ARANSAS, BEE, JIM WELLS, KLEBERG, and REFUGIO, TX to become market #108.
* DES MOINES, IA, whic was DALLAS, POLK, STORY AND WARREN, IA as market #91, adds BOONE, CLARKE, GREENE, GUTHRIE, JASPER, LUCAS, MADISON and MARION, IA to become market #72.
* FAYETTEVILLE, AR (NW ARKANSAS), which was BENTON and WASHINGTON, AR as market #128, adds MADISON, AR to become market #127.
* FT. SMITH, AR, which was CRAWFORD and SEBASTIAN, AR and LEFLORE and SEQUOYAH, OK as market #175, adds LOGAN and SCOTT, AR and HASKELL and LATIMER, OK to become market #159.
* JONESBORO, AR, which was CRAIGHEAD, AR as market #284, adds GREENE, LAWRENCE and POINSETT, AR to become market #234.
* NEW ORLEANS, LA, which was JEFFERSON, ORLEANS, ST. BERNARD, ST. CHARLES, ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, and ST. TAMMANY, LA as market #52, adds LAFOURCHE, PLAQUEMINES, ST. JAMES and WASHINGTON, LA and PEARL RIVER, MS to become market #45.
* PORTLAND, ME, which was CUMBERLAND, ME as market #168, adds ANDROSCOGGIN, OXFORD, SAGADAHOC, and YORK REMAINDER, ME to become market #89.
The new listening and commuting criterion is in response to changes in the radio business environment and in consultation with representatives from its Radio and Advertiser/Agency Advisory Councils (NET NEWS 3/9).
The new criterion for determining if a county qualifies to be in the Metro is based on a 70-point criterion, which replaces the 55% listening/15% commuting criteria that had been in place since 1998. Under the new 70-point criterion, a county would qualify for inclusion in a Metro when the sum of the percentage of listening and the percentage of commuting is 70% or more, provided that a minimum of 55% of the listening quarter-hours in the county are credited to stations that are home to the existing metro. Counties with less than 55% listening to metro stations, regardless of commuting percentage, are not eligible for the metro.
MORE ABOUT: washington | madison | portland | new orleans | greene | marion | refugio | bee | brazos | potter | oxford | albany | kleberg | calhoun | guthrie | leflore | haskell | aransas | randall | terrell | lee | carson | oldham | worth | lucas | baker | bryan | moore | logan | scott | polk | radio | latimer | jasper | nueces | clarke | inc | dallas | benton | boone | poinsett | st. bernard | plaquemines | st. charles | pearl river | cumberland | jim wells | hutchinson | des moines | nw arkansas | st. tammany | york remainder | college station | story and warren | corpus christi | androscoggin | fayetteville | san patricio | lafourche | craighead | net news | sequoyah | arbitron | amarillo | crawford | st. john the baptist | burleson | ft. smith | sagadahoc | robertson | jefferson | jonesboro | sebastian | st. james | dougherty | armstrong | lawrence | employment | homes | cell phones