January 14, 2011
I'd love to have my teenager daughters metabolism. She can and does consume all sorts of food without any ramifications weight wise. For this reason alone I am happy as I never want her having an issue with her weight. However, one cant help but be a little jealous as she scarfs down French fries, thick pieces of Sicilian pizza and slices of chocolate cake. When Jamie Leigh Curtis played Lindsay Lohan's mom in Freaky Friday one of the first things she did was eat a box of McDonalds French fries. Many moms trying to age gracefully travel with fruit, nuts and cheese sticks in their purse. We move from carrying diapers, dry Cheerios, a toddlers change of clothes, toys and items to occupy our children along with a compact, lipstick and cash to healthy food for ourselves, coupons a compact and a debit card. Indulging without it seeming like a "cheat" is what she needs to allow for. Maybe you can be the catalyst in this: when was the last night your provide her with a way to have a girls night out ?
She Buzz Words
She Could Be
- A ice rink attendee
- Cosmetic Representative
- Cafeteria lady
- Bus Driver
Right now she could be
- Peeling potatoes
- Seeking a babysitter for tomorrow night
- Working on a school fundraiser
- Training her dog
These are the top tips she should know when it comes to saving money this year:
- Stop overspending.
- Stick to a budget.
- Pay off debt.
- Manage credit (www.Quizzle.com will give a free credit report).
- Improve credit score.
- Have a savings plan for daily needs and retirement.
- Make sure she has the right amount of insurance.
- Protect her identity.
- If she needs to turn her Netflix flaps into a piece of art, this site can guide her: www.Netflixorigami.com.
She's in the know
It's stressful to take a sick child to the pediatrician. Here's a list to make her appointment easier, thanks to NJ Family:
Pediatrician Pet Peeves
Don't ask for a two-fer; Make appointment for all children that need to be seen. Do not ask the doctor to check out your child's sibling while you're there. That requires pulling the child's chart, creating a bill, and slows down the appointment schedule for that day.
Be nice to the receptionist. Kindness to all is necessary. They want your child well just like you do.
No cell phones. All electronics should be put away when dealing with the doctor.
Treat the fever. Don't wait until after your visit to treat a child's fever, just to prove to the doctor that they have one. Treat at home and bring as much information possible regarding the child's illness.
Use appropriate discipline. Parent your child; do not allow misbehavior.
Do not threaten a child by saying they will have to get shots if they don't behave. Act calm if they do need a shot. Parental anxiety stresses out the child who needs an injection.
If she has a daughter seriously interested in modeling and fashion, log onto www.justaskmarlene.com. Marlene Wallach, president and owner of Wilhelmina Kids and Teens modeling agency, created this age-appropriate site.
- The Keygaroo: this teeny twist-and-pull purse easily holds keys, lipstick, and loose change. www.keygaroo.com
- The Laptop Hideaway: there's room for a power supply, mouse, and paperwork. www.belkin.com
- The Fugu Lunch Tote: holds food and drink, and then stores flat. www.builtny.com
The American Animal Hospital Association says that most pets lose their body heat from the bottoms of their feet, their ears, and their respiratory tract. The amount of chill a pet can tolerate depends on their size and the thickness of their coat. If it's cold enough for you to add a layer to your winter gear, your pooch could probably use some extra padding too.
She's adding a vita boost to her daily smoothie and her medicine cabinet is stocked to fight the next cold or flu. Fending off disease is top of mind this winter. Dr. Eric Plasker, author of The 100-Year Lifestyle, says healthy foods need to be a part of our lifestyle to help ward off illness. Here are his 10 flu-fighting foods that could boost her immunity:
- Red bell peppers
- Sweet potatoes
- Chicken soup
- Dark chocolate
She saves by purchasing foods that are in season. Here are the seasonal fruits and vegetables for January:
- Brussel sprouts
- Jerusalem artichoke
- Kiwi fruit
- Passion fruit
Automobile journalist Brandy Schaffels is a lady who knows her cars and how to save money driving them. A contributor to www.askpatty.com, she offers these tips to save fuel:
- Lighten the load; clear the junk from your trunk for better gas mileage.
- Check tire pressure; under-inflated tires cost the country more than 3.5 million gallons of gas per day.
- Maintain the vehicle for best performance.
- Turn the car off when not in use. Idling just ten minutes a day can waste as much as 22 gallons a year.
- Practice safe and within-the-limit driving habits.
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com