April 3, 2012
Worry is a habit that is very hard to stop once it gets going within yourself. It strangles your success, kills your ability to expand, stops creativity, and doesn't work as a tool to succeed.
We worry about all sorts of things -- from the weather to health, to our job to our relationships. But why? And how do we stop it? Today we break down worry and see that worry, although used by many and at virtually all times, is a relatively WORTHLESS occupational waste of time.
WORRY: TIED TO F.E.A.R.
In order to worry, you have to FEAR something. You then worry about the thing that you fear. If you are a regular Success Tips reader here on All Access, you know what FEAR stands for: False Evidence Appearing Real. If you FEAR something, by jumping in and educating yourself about that very thing, you will see that your fear was largely overblown.
People say "but there ARE things you should fear, like grizzly bears ... and things that are BAD for you." Sur,e there are things and laws to KNOW and RESPECT, and you can cause outcomes to happen by doing what you would judge as the WRONG things or being in the WRONG place at the WRONG time for you (which may be the RIGHT things, RIGHT place at the RIGHT time for others, by the way). Yet none of that is something to fear, it is something to simply be AWARE of so you can make a decision to (or not to) place yourself into the situation that might cause a result that you would ultimately judge as BAD or as something you would fear.
The other great thing about fear that you can use as a tool is that it is attractive. The saying is, "What you fear comes near." So this means that if you truly fear something, you unknowingly attract that very thing to you in order to make you face it. Fear Factor and other successful TV shows are built around this premise - because if you do NOT understand fear, it becomes FASCINATING. This is why these shows are so popular. Worry is a close cousin to fear. We WORRY about things we FEAR might occur. Eliminate the fear ... and the worry goes away too.
How do we get over fear? The same way children get over their fears. They do the thing they fear and suddenly it is not so bad, or they learn that they don't want to do that again. In short, they learn the lesson we explain above. I know kids who were afraid of a certain amusement park ride. Once they experienced the ride, suddenly the fear is gone, and they can't get enough. They then want to ride it again and again. To eliminate fear, you feel the F.E.A.R. (False Evidence Appearing Real) and do it anyway.
WORRY DOESN'T WORK
The biggest problem with worry is that it doesn't work. This is the most attractive reason for me to eliminate worry. I like things that work. If worry actually worked and could change outcomes, it would be something to use as a tool. But by itself, worry does not change a thing. Therefore, I would rather use the time I have to move in a positive direction of growth as opposed to sitting still worrying, going backward.
Worrying uses precious time that could be put to better use to build or create something. The facts are that 92% of what we worry about NEVER comes true. If I were to make a bet with you where you would be guaranteed to LOSE at a 92% level, you would never make that bet with the deck stacked against you 92 to 8.
So why would you use worry as a tool when it will be a 92% FAIL rate? It makes no mathematical sense to put your bet down on worry, which has only an 8% chance of success. Leave the use of worry forever, and focus on the math that creates the WIN instead. I'll take the 92% bet over the 8% bet any day!
By understanding fear and eliminating worry, you have taken a giant step toward personal success.