Secret Men's Business
April 16, 2013
It's pretty easy to access info on women that radio programmers and morning shows can use as content.....
Men, however, are tougher to understand it seems.
This week we have a heap of great 'men related' morning show topic discussion thought starters.
Firstly....a bit of info on how men and women think differently..................................
Men’s brains are very different to women and that is why our decision making processes and ways of communicating and forming relationships are different.
Women listen with both sides of their brains at the same time. Men typically listen with one side of the brain at any one time.
Men and Women are not the same! This is one of the reasons that radio is such a great medium to reach women - because they can listen to the radio and at the same time incorporate the information into a conversation they are having. Many women can also perform well in the bedroom while all of this is happening.
Women, it seems are better than men at multi-tasking. Men are far more likely to concentrate on one thing at a time and if the radio is on while something else is happening what’s on air may not get through. Women also have more emotional connections in their brains than men, which result in women becoming more emotionally involved in anything they do. Women are more willing to engage with brands that make them feel a certain way.
Men on the other hand focus on functionality and would be better able to retain a call to action message. When a woman hears or sees advertising that engages her she feels understood by that brand, and seeks out a relationship with it.
So what does all this mean for morning radio? If a brand can tell her a good story and she realizes how that brand can enhance her life, its going to be much more memorable and motivating to her than a functional story. Women are storytellers by nature and like to be told stories in real life as well as in advertising.
If you ask her how her day was today, she will start to tell you stories about her relationships and her interactions. As a bloke all you really want to know is, ‘’was it a good or a bad day and what’s for dinner?’’ Women really struggle to get their man to open up.
Women gossip, read, blog, tweet, agonise and even cry in frustrated attempts to try and work men out!
From the shelves of book stores and libraries to press stories, the internet and old fashioned conversation, everyone is trying to sort out exactly what men want.
Although men don’t always know what they want - based on a series of male only 25-44 listener advisory boards there are some universal themes that really get them going!
THE MALE TOP 25+
- Men want more sex
- Men want the opportunity to flirt
- Men want home life to be sorted, allowing more time to flirt
- Men are sexist
- Men need their fix of sport. It allows for time with mates and time to flirt
- Men like a night at the pub with their mates
- Men use the workplace as a sanctuary, and as a useful place to flirt
- A man's car will never talk back. It is treasured
- Music reminds men of their glory days
- Men want to understand secret women's business, but are in capable of achieving this
- Men like the TV remote and keeping up with technology
- Men need a good meal at night
- Men like a laugh, often at the expense of a mate
- When men get out of bed they want to know the sports results from around the world
- On weekends men want the women out of the way
- Men think they are smarter than women
- The toilet seat is ok up
- Men like to shop but spend 30% more than women when doing the 'weekly shop'
- Men like someone else to sort out all the home duties
- Men want to lose weight and keep their hair
- Men go to the pub after a workout
- Men think they are bulletproof (re health issues)
- Men do have a bucket list....that usually includes dressing up in women's clothing and being The Stig for a day
- Men keep stuff to themselves. No crying in public, unless their favorite sport team loses
- Clothing....if it doesn't smell, it will be alright, but men do keep a wardrobe full of clothes from their glory days
- Men will do anything for their kids........even dress up as GaGa to win a ticket....or ...sit through a One Direction concert with their 9 year old!!!!
Men listen to even more radio if they own a Digital Radio (source Australian Digital Radio Report)
SO WHY DO MEN ACT THE WAY THEY DO?
- Why don’t men call when they say they will?
- Why do they act stupid around their mates?
- Why are they seldom loyal?
- Why are they so scared of commitment?
- Why do men hate shopping with their partner?
Let's delve a little deeper and look at ''Secret Men's Business''
- Certain Topics are best kept on the ‘down low’. Remember Women want to share, Men want to shhhh....All Men are Liars....or is it just 'omitters'
- Men want to talk up their conquest count â€“ just not with their wife!
- Men want to shag their girlfriend’s best mate and their best mate’s girlfriend
- Men want to dump their girlfriend if she gets fat! Men wont try that with their wife
- Men want to spend their hard earned money â€“ but not have to account for it!
- Men want to have a health check as much as they want a fat girlfriend
- Men want to flirt with every female at the office
- Men want to ignore the phone â€“ especially when the game is on
- Single men want their mum to do their laundry
- Men have a hiding spot at home for emergencies
- Men want to use the bedroom floor as a wardrobe
- Men want to hide their cheating past
- Men want to leave empty beer cases in the fridge
- Men don’t want to cook or clean up
- Men don’t want to think about the concept of Mid Life Crisis
- Men want to watch Fashion TV...and think about it later.....
- Men want to hear about their best mate’s latest conquest
- Men want to use every dish until there are no more dishes to use!
Married Men............... The top 5+ things a Married Man really wants in a Wife!
- A woman who takes care of herself physically
- A woman with a mother who lives out of town
- A woman who is able to compromise & show her appreciation
- A woman with the potential to earn an income
- A great lover
- A friend
Next week part 2 of Secret Men's Business
- Dating and Love
- Being a dad
- Gadgets and technology
- A Man's ultimate job
- What scares men
To view The Big Bang archives click here.