10 Questions with ... Billy The Kidd
May 8, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started as an intern/part-time on air in 1998 at 93.1 WDRQ in Detroit for Alex Tear and Jay Towers. Then went to do nights at KRBV Hot 100 in Dallas from 2000-2004. Then they flipped to Jack- Fm and gave me the boot, so I went across street to 106.1 Kiss FM/KHKS to do nights. I ventured to do nights at Z100/NYC for a bit, then back to Kiss/Dallas to do afternoons/APD, which is what I currently do.
1) I recently heard you "rockin' da 410" (and several other area codes) on Kiss 95.9/Salisbury-Ocean City Maryland. How many stations are you on now?
NICE! 410 represent. Well, I do point-to-point voicetracking for KXXM/San Antonio, KZHT/Salt Lake City, WNIC/Detroit and WNCI/Columbus, plus Kiss/Dallas live. THEN ... I do 6-10p for our Premium Choice Network. We are constantly adding new stations with Premium Choice, so the number varies. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me though; I put in 110% into every show, even if I was only on two stations.
2) Kiss in Dallas continues to dominate year after year. What are the key elements of that success?
Our OM/PD Patrick Davis is not only one of my mentors, but an absolutely amazing programmer. His attention to detail is unreal! Also, we are lucky to have an awesome air staff. Anyone can duplicate the music, but you can't duplicate the talent or passion we have. I personally have always lived by this quote: "When you're winning, fight like your losing."
3) You still spin a lot of club nights. What are the hot songs on the dance floor right now?
Obviously dance is huge. So, Calvin Harris/Neyo "Let's Go" is starting to react, along with Example and Afrojack "Can't Stop Me." Hip-Hop is still BIG, just fewer records than back in the day. Tyga "Rack City" & "Faded," Nicki Minaj "Beez In The Trap," 2 Chainz and pretty much anything Drake.
4) How important is it to use what's working in the clubs as "presearch" for the station?
Essential. Money isn't laying around for endless research like it use to be, so clubs are the perfect opportunity to actually SEE what your key demo is reacting to. Clubs are one of a couple different methods we have to see what's working.
5) What songs that blew up in the clubs wound up being hits for Kiss?
Hmmm, recently... Calvin Harris "Feel So Close," Flo Rida "Good Feeling," Drake/Lil Wayne "The Motto," even every LMFAO hit, we felt confident about early because they were already huge in clubs.
6) You've been a recording artist yourself. Any chance we'll see a new DF Dub release anytime soon?
Ha! Probably not, but ya never know. I just love everything that has to do with music, so that was a fun experience. It was interesting to be a "new artist" on a major label ... totally different than what I expected.
7) You've also been involved managing artists. Got anything cooking right now?
Yeah! I have worked with a very talented band named Forever The Sickest Kids for years, along with a new pop artist named BOY EPIC (who is a star and doing next level stuff). Also, working with Pittsburgh Slim - who is the real deal. AND of course they ALL have HIT records coming soon ... ha!
8) What's in power rotation on your iPod right now?
Childish Gambino, Wiz Khalifa "Work Hard, Play Hard;" Group Love "Tongue Tied;" LoveRance w/ 50 Cent "Up!;" Example "Changed The Way You Kissed Me;" AfroJack "Can't Stop Me Now;" 2Chainz, Tyga "Faded;" and Calvin Harris/Neyo "Let Go."
9) Who would be a dream guest to have on your show?
Hologram 2Pac or Jay Z.
10) Do you have a hobby outside of radio?
I pretty much work nonstop, so when I have free time - it's with my son Ryder and doing family stuff!
What was your last non-industry job?
Man, that was a LONG time ago! I worked at an ice rink in Detroit as a skate attendant and a Zamboni driver! Ballin'.