10 Questions with ... Jessie Malakouti
May 31, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Left home at 16, going from friends' sofas to audition to odd job and back again, Jessie lived off various paid acting/dance gigs as well as teaching at the local dance studio. She earned her stripes by fronting her rock band Shut Up Stella and building a West Coast fan base.
Then things started to change. According to Jessie, "I just wasn't in the same head space anymore. They wanted to carry on making angry music and I was writing happy pop songs."
From there, Jessie began to believe that she could navigate her own creative ship. "When you have a vision for yourself, you have to take risks," she says. "I'm completely comfortable with that, because I decided a while ago that I was going to live or die by my own sword. I'd rather people love me or hate me, nothing in between, thanks."
1. What got you into singing/entertainment?
I always loved singing and performing, even as early as 3 years old. I would make up songs and put on plays in my bedroom for my Barbies. There was always a piano in our home, so naturally all my siblings and I play.
2. Did you ever want to do anything else?
Never. I did very well in school and probably could've been accepted to a number of prestigious colleges, but I chose to go to The School of Rock 'N Roll. I always wanted to be a star.
3. I've seen your briefs. Boxers or briefs?
It doesn't really matter to me, it's more about the package inside ;)
4. What's your first high school boyfriend up to?
Selling drugs more than likely...
5. You've seen some amazing places in your travels with Jessie And The Toy Boys. If you could pick one city to return to this weekend, which would it be?
Paris. I love Paris. I want to fall in love in Paris.
6. Besides your new single, Push It, what's your favorite song on the radio right now?
"Rolling In The Deep" by Adele. I wish I had written that song. It's so damn good. The melody is incredible!
7. You seem quite mature for 22. When does the immature side of Jessie come out?
I was a very precocious child. There was a lot of war in my home. I wasn't really given a choice to be immature. Though, I suppose I am a bit of a goof ball... I like to make prank phone calls to my friends. I've got this amazing character I've created named "Burt Backman" who is an Los Angeles county animal control officer... the bit I do is hysterical.
8. Don't you have a big tour coming up? Are you excited?
I am beyond excited! I'll be touring with Britney Spears and Nicki Minaj. Britney is an icon and I am a huge fan. I'm so honored and grateful she's giving a new artist like myself this kind of opportunity. When I was 14 I went to the Justified/Stripped Tour at The Staples Center in Los Angeles. I can remember closing my eyes and making a promise to myself that one day I would perform on that stage. It's a dream come true.
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
Price is Right! But only if Bob Barker comes back! Plinko baby! #swag
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
The Black Keys. Their music has such a romantic undertone.
Do you have any phobias?
I don't really like clowns. When I was a kid we'd go on family vacations to Las Vegas and stay at Circus Circus. That place and Stephen King kind of scarred me for life.