10 Questions with ... Rudy Ramos
February 21, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started radio at the age of 14 picking records at a local radio station. I've worked/programmed Tejano, Mexican Regional, Spanish Pop, Tropical, Top 40/Rhythmic, Urban AC, Country, Classic Rock and Sport Talk radio. For almost 25 years, my passion is RADIO.
1. What got you into radio?
A friend of mine was working at the local radio station, and I use to visit him. One day he asked if I would pick records for him for each hour. I showed up one Saturday and my friend wasn't there, and the owner asked if I would play the records until he could find a replacement. As nervous as I was, I did it, and fell in love with radio instantly.
2. What is biggest difference between Corpus Christi and other Texas markets that you've programmed in?
The people in Corpus Christi still love to listen to radio. They still go visit personalities at remotes, and have a lot of passion for there favorite radio station. The old school ways of radio are very much alive here, and make radio fun. Of course the advancements of digital are here like anyplace else, but it's a little bit slower pace.
3. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At an early age I was always involved in music. I use to help my friend load and unload equipment for his dad's band. I also helped another friend with his mobile dj service. My passion for music has been with me since I was a little boy and still today I love what I do.
4. Like most of us in the business, you've had your ups and downs, professionally.
When you were in a low, maybe out of a gig, what helped keep your chin up?
I was out of work for about 16 months, but I never gave up on getting another radio gig. I did what I had to do in the interim, but opportunity was always out there. Radio is/was always looking for a promo person, on air, board op etc... I applied to all of them. At that point I just wanted to get back in radio in whatever position.
5. If you were getting 4 or 5 friends together for dinner in Corpus Christi, where would be your first choice of restaurants?
When I lived in New York City, I couldn't find a good Tex Mex place anywhere. Now that I'm in Corpus its Tex Mex all the way with a frozen margarita ...cheers!
6. What's your favorite song on the station right now?
Avicii - Levels
7. If you had budget for another fulltime position on staff, what position would you create/fill?
a web/digital person
8. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Firing up the pit and throwing down some good Texas BBQ
9. If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which would you want to be on?
The Price is Right. Since I was a kid I have always wanted to here" Rudy Ramos come on down!"
10. Hypothetical question...If you were getting married in two months and you could have any group or singer perform at your reception, who would you choose?
David Guetta...fist pump!
I'm afraid of heights and swarms of insects. Do you have any phobias?
Yes...I'm also afraid of heights. No scary carnival rides and I'm not going to watch any scary movies.