10 Questions with ... Rynell "Showbiz" Williams
March 20, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
A friend told me about Youth Radio ( Berkeley, CA). I learned broadcast journalism I also wrote commentaries for KQED and KCBS. At 15, I was covering events like the 1996 Republican Convention in San Diego. Xavier the X-man got a hold of my Youth Radio demo and it landed on the desk of Michael Martin. He gave us a 60 minute public affairs show on KYLD and that's the beginning of my career Eventually, I landed the Stuntman position on the DOG HOUSE morning show ( 2001-2004). In 2004, I had the opportunity to co-host mornings with Sam Diggedy at KDON and I've been here for over eight successful years.
1. Why Radio? ....
The only job I had besides radio was my high school Taco Bell. I was fired for hooking up people with way too much meat ( true story). That's why I love radio, it's the only job I know and sometimes, I'm really good at it !
2. To date, what is the highlight of your radio career?
Staying number 1 in Mornings for over eight years.
3. You've not only been with KDON for many years but haven't you been working with the current programming management of OM/PD SAM SEGOVIA and APD/MD ERIC "THE FUNKY 1" for even longer?
Sam and Eric are great friends we all used to intern at KYLD. I respect and love them both.
4. If you weren't co-hosting a morning show, would you consider yourself a "morning" person?
I am a morning person. I even wake up early after a night at the club or on vacation and my wife hates it when I do.
5. You've been working with SAM for a long time What's the side of SAM he doesn't want or let people see?
Sam is super talented but, after the mic is turned off and the show is done for the morning, Sam is all business.
6. If they entire morning show was on Survivor-South Pacific, who is more likely to win? Who is more likely to eat a large, juicy bug?
I would first ask, is this show still on TV. I would probably win because Sam has asthma. I would eat a bug. It's no big deal. Protein is protein.
7. Think back to when you were about 10 years-old. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to do something in the music business. I knew it would be my calling.
8. Which member of the JERSEY SHORE cast would you go home with only if they were the last person left in the club? Who would Sam pick?
I would take Snooki home and get her pregnant again because she seems like the one who secretly makes a ton of cash. Sam would pick Sami because she has the best natural figure.
9. Which are scarier to you, vampires or zombies?
Zombies except for the Thriller dancing Zombies. In my mind I can knock them out
10. What's the most romantic spot in MONTEREY?
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Trust me, I have a 2 year old.
If you could only watch one movie, one TV show and listen to one CD for two months, which of each would you choose?
The Goonies, a Martin dvd and 112's first album/CD.